The Chainlink

I just noticed this weekend that the storefront on Montrose is for rent. From what I can gather online, it sounds like they got fed up with break-ins. I'm very sad as this was only about a block and a half away from me! I know they still have the store in Wicker Park, but I'm not going to haul down there. Anyone have any other info/suggestions for bike shops in this area?

Views: 3105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a shame. It does seem to correspond with the apparent increase in bike and bike part thefts people seem to be reporting.

I'm sure they CSBR has some statistics, but a quick scan didn't turn up anything on their website. Looking at just the month of July for the past three years, I see a pretty significant increase in the number of reports:

  • July 2011 - 154
  • July 2012 - 198
  • July 2013 - 220

If you're looking to score bikes and trendy bike parts, what better place to go than an urban bike shop?

There's the Kozy's by Belmont and Milwaukee as well as Get a Grip on Irving and Kostner. There's another shop on Lawrence right by the Kennedy but not sure if it's any good. There's also a shop on Elston and Irving that looks like it caters to fixie riders. 

On the Route on Lawerence. great shop. also south of there is roscoe village bikes.

I just moved to bryn mawr / western area and noticed a nice little (**very** locally owned) LBS

on the NW corner of that intersection/ don't go to wicker park !!!! shop local

It appears that Shiny things has closed and is replaced by a new bike shop: "5600 bikes and frames". Good riddance Shiny Things!


dan brown said:

On the Route on Lawerence. great shop. also south of there is roscoe village bikes.

I just moved to bryn mawr / western area and noticed a nice little (**very** locally owned) LBS

on the NW corner of that intersection/ don't go to wicker park !!!! shop local

FYI, the bike shop at Bryn Mawr and Western (I'm not using the name since I don't know what they're calling it this month; it's had numerous name changes) is widely suspected of dealing in stolen bikes. See http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/bike-shop-near-andersonvil...http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/andersonville-bikes-fitnes....

Now I am confused.. the place used to be a dump. Now it looks decent on the inside...Made me think that it was a new shop...

Take a look inside


Eli said:

FYI, the bike shop at Bryn Mawr and Western (I'm not using the name since I don't know what they're calling it this month; it's had numerous name changes) is widely suspected of dealing in stolen bikes. See http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/bike-shop-near-andersonvil...http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/andersonville-bikes-fitnes....

We will certainly be there for all your cycling needs!

"5600Bikes" is still registered to Robert Vaughters.

Adam, do you know of this "new" shop?



Pedal To The People said:

We will certainly be there for all your cycling needs!

I stand corrected. Thanks for getting the facts, Kevin.

Kevin C said:

"5600Bikes" is still registered to Robert Vaughters.

Adam, do you know of this "new" shop?



Pedal To The People said:

We will certainly be there for all your cycling needs!

Try out Turin bicycles on Damon just south of Lawrence.

It's not "widely suspected"-- there have been confirmed recoveries of freshly stolen bikes from the shop at this intersection, whatever it was called at that moment.
 
Eli said:

FYI, the bike shop at Bryn Mawr and Western (I'm not using the name since I don't know what they're calling it this month; it's had numerous name changes) is widely suspected of dealing in stolen bikes. See http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/bike-shop-near-andersonvil...http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/andersonville-bikes-fitnes....

I was the only one to pick up their 3 tubes for $10.00 deal in their Wicker Park Location. The impression I got was that they extended themselves a bit in the Albany Park spot and took over the dutch bike shop location that went out of business. The bicycle bizz is very tough.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service