The Chainlink

So I got a Yalta backpack as a birthday gift. The construction is superb, it looks great and the materials are pretty tough. HOWEVER, the roll-top opening is so small! I'm forced to jam things in to get them to fit, and if I want to throw in the occasional six-pack of pepsi cans, it becomes a surgical operation to get them in sideways. Why Chrome, why put in all that effort into designing the bag, and then bottle-neck it? Maybe the focus has shifted from bags to marketing $200 hoodies. I'm sure Chrome fans will have opposite opinions.

OK, rant over.

Views: 978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get your local seamstress/tailor to snip it open on the side and put in velcro or a zipper?

Who drinks Pepsi?

haha....

Duppie said:

Who drinks Pepsi?

I love Pepsi. I used to drink like, 3-4 cans a day. Now, once every month, or on occasion. But anyways, I digress..

That was always one of the main complaints with the Yalta. I had the same bag, and I hated trying to stuff anything aside from clothing in there. 

And you won't hear any disagreements from me; Chrome has really shifted in to other higher margin things like overpriced clothing. I'm pretty sure the mess bag/urban backpack market has been saturated to full extent by now and is on the downswing. However, I do think their wool socks are still top notch. I love them more than anything else I can find. 

I love mine! It's water proof with an inside compartment it can hold a weeks worth of laundry it's back pack style but the side opening zipper is crappy plastic.

i've never heard of this beer you mention 

I don't ride with anything on my back after buying a rear rack.  Try one of those.

What he said. 

I have a messenger bag from them and love it. The opening is huge, and I can fit all my tools, clothes, spares, and a 12 pack all at once.

Peenworm "8 mile" Grubologist said:

i've never heard of this beer you mention 

Get a Jand commuter bag as a pannier. Many, I love that thing.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP

I am absolutely a Chrome defender, but unless you're hauling clothes or folders, that Yalta has THE WORST opening ever. EVER. I found that it's great as a commuter bag, but it's terrible as a smaller grocery-getter. I totally agree with the poster who says to have it modified or just get a second bag. I will say this, of all the Chrome bags I've owned, that one does keep clothes and electronics the most dry during crazy rain storms.

I do have a commuter with a rack, but sometimes I just want to grab a different bicycle and a backpack. I'm sure I'm not alone. On their messenger bags, is the strap reversible so you can switch shoulders? I might have to check them out.

You have to order them specifically with either left or right shoulder. If you can, go the store and try their bags on. I wore every single one before I picked my last bag.

Vondo said:

I do have a commuter with a rack, but sometimes I just want to grab a different bicycle and a backpack. I'm sure I'm not alone. On their messenger bags, is the strap reversible so you can switch shoulders? I might have to check them out.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service