The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So it's ridiculous to assume that the new protected bike lane on Dearborn that the city spent tons of time and money on should basically be left to ice over all winter and become unusable?

FYI, the city has a mini plow specifically for bike lanes.

Apie 10.64 said:

I'm not sure if you have shoveled during the last few snowfalls, but it is heavy stuff.  Its ridiculous to think anywhere but main roads should be salted to excess so you and your bike will have a perfectly smooth snow/ice/water free path.

Adam - I know the original bike plow was too wide for sections of the Kinzie bike lane.  Not sure about Dearborn.

Is this the same plow?  

As far as I know, they only have one mini-plow.

122782_ said:

Adam - I know the original bike plow was too wide for sections of the Kinzie bike lane.  Not sure about Dearborn.

Is this the same plow?  

I want that job... The Mini-Plow driver! :) The bike lanes would be amazing!!

We need one of these...

I had a very pleasant ride into work today on all of the roads without protected bike lanes. The busier roads are plowed and salted, 95+% of it was dry pavement, side streets with snow on them, had dry pavement where the automobile tires had worn the snow down to dry pavement. In the Loop, LaSalle, Randolph, and Wells-all dry pavement.

No but it is ridiculous to assume it will be spotless, which can only be understood if you shovel/move snow during winter.   It's just not as simple as you think it is to keep snow, water and ice off of streets sidewalks and BLs, at all times. 1 mini plow for all of Chicago?  And you assume it should keep all BL's clear all of the time?  I don't understand your logic but I do understand where you are coming from, and it is a place of cyclist-entitlement.  Perhaps you should go tell the guy who clears the snow how to do it correctly.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

So it's ridiculous to assume that the new protected bike lane on Dearborn that the city spent tons of time and money on should basically be left to ice over all winter and become unusable?

Apie 10.64 said:

I'm not sure if you have shoveled during the last few snowfalls, but it is heavy stuff.  Its ridiculous to think anywhere but main roads should be salted to excess so you and your bike will have a perfectly smooth snow/ice/water free path.

It's not entitlement. If the city is building infrastructure for cyclists, then they'd better be damn sure that said infrastructure is maintained throughout the year. It is a slap in the face to build protected bike lanes, only to let them ice over and become unusable during the colder months. Especially considering the city manages to properly plow and salt the roads and sidewalks in the winter. Imagine the backlash if the city decided to not plow Lake Shore Drive, or let snow pile up in the sidewalks in the Loop.

That being said, I do think CDOT / Streets and San are doing a decent job keeping the bike lanes clear for the most part. There is more they could be doing, such as plates on the Dearborn bridge and better de-icing, however. My main complaint is with the businesses that have been dumping snow into the protected bike lanes, causing them to ice over, then claiming the city is responsable for correcting the business' mistake.

The only bike lanes that need the mini-plow are the protected ones. Buffered and door-zone lanes can be plowed with a normal-sized plow, since there are no bollards to run over.

Apie 10.64 said:

No but it is ridiculous to assume it will be spotless, which can only be understood if you shovel/move snow during winter.   It's just not as simple as you think it is to keep snow, water and ice off of streets sidewalks and BLs, at all times. 1 mini plow for all of Chicago?  And you assume it should keep all BL's clear all of the time?  I don't understand your logic but I do understand where you are coming from, and it is a place of cyclist-entitlement.  Perhaps you should go tell the guy who clears the snow how to do it correctly.

Apie 10.64 said:

You have solidified my point(s), carry on.

Wanting equal treatment and consideration is not the same as entitlement.

Apie 10.64 said:

You have solidified my point(s), carry on.

While I agree that there is a certain amount of time needed for everyone to get used to the new road configuration and education needed about the new bike lane, I feel it is irresponsible of the city to promote use of the new protected bike lane, only to not maintain it and allow it to get to dangerous conditions.

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

*SHEESH* Adam.  

Find some slack out there bro, and cut the city and The Goodman some of it.

What if the city has the political will and gumption to build the infrastructure but can't assure its maintenance until everyone affected by it is educated, and all the new personnel and logistics are in place to maintain it?  Would you rather the city not build it at all?  

I can assure you there's a Trib columnist (and lot of people in metal boxes) that would agree with you if that's the case.

... If the city is building infrastructure for cyclists, then they'd better be damn sure that said infrastructure is maintained throughout the year. 

Hey, pardon me for butting in, but I just wanted to say that the weather on the ride home was spectacular and I really enjoyed that ride!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service