The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took the lake front path this morning- what a quiet ride it was. Took me about 10 minutes more than my usual commute to get to work, but I left a bit early to make up for it.  It was nice not having to deal with traffic and dodging motorists and taxis, although it seemed a bit colder without any buildings to shelter.  I think I will alternate LFP and using Lincoln to Wells to Chicago Ave., depending on the weather. Not sure how I would feel about riding the path when the weather gets nasty, icy or really windy, but on days like this, it was really nice.

Congratulations, Melanie, and welcome to the Club. Secret password and handshake arriving separately.
The Chicago Park District plows and salts the path all winter, albeit not as often as you sometimes hope. Between Belmont and North Avenues you can ride on the west side of Lake Shore Drive which gives a bit of wind buffer from east and west winds, and a different and scenic view through Lincoln Park parks.

Melanie said:

I took the lake front path this morning- what a quiet ride it was. Took me about 10 minutes more than my usual commute to get to work, but I left a bit early to make up for it.  It was nice not having to deal with traffic and dodging motorists and taxis, although it seemed a bit colder without any buildings to shelter.  I think I will alternate LFP and using Lincoln to Wells to Chicago Ave., depending on the weather. Not sure how I would feel about riding the path when the weather gets nasty, icy or really windy, but on days like this, it was really nice.

The wind makes you stronger, or at least that is what I tell myself when going 11 mph into the headwind pulling my trailer

You do get a larger feeling of accomplishment when you get home 

Welcome to the LFP

What is this "larger feeling of accomplishment" of which you write? I seem to just feel like my face is about to crack. 

Michael A said:

The wind makes you stronger, or at least that is what I tell myself when going 11 mph into the headwind pulling my trailer

You do get a larger feeling of accomplishment when you get home 

Welcome to the LFP

"insert poor tasteless joke here"  But seriously, riding a bike to me has always been a battle within myself

The mind,legs and lungs tell you to slow down or stop. Being able to push past that personal barrier is a great feeling.

יאָ

I took the Lake front path this morning and this afternoon- very nice and quiet and although it does add time and mileage to my commute, it also seems to be much more mentally stabilizing than taking the more direct and faster route through the city and in traffic. 

I live On the west side Winnemac park @ Foster and Leavitt I commute to work everyday, Shortest route is Five miles. I almost always take the LFP to work It does add about 3 miles but does not add a whole lot more time.10 minutes or so. I do find it "much more mentally stabilizing" Also,

And I'm a BIG fan of a strong north east wind on my way down to work. I will take Southport coming back home if the the wind is strong out of the north.

I didn't get any pics on today's ride but here are some random winter pics from last year (when it was cold and snowy )

Melanie said:

I took the Lake front path this morning and this afternoon- very nice and quiet and although it does add time and mileage to my commute, it also seems to be much more mentally stabilizing than taking the more direct and faster route through the city and in traffic. 

Look at those shots from last year!  I feel like we've been so spoiled this winter, and I'm not about to start actively wishing I was riding in snow any time soon.  It didn't feel nearly as cold as I thought it might this morning.  Let's keep it that way.

Stylish bike. Love it. The wave spray behind the bike in the first photo makes it a dynamic shot. Please, share more when you have the time.

skipton said:

I live On the west side Winnemac park @ Foster and Leavitt I commute to work everyday, Shortest route is Five miles. I almost always take the LFP to work It does add about 3 miles but does not add a whole lot more time.10 minutes or so. I do find it "much more mentally stabilizing" Also,

And I'm a BIG fan of a strong north east wind on my way down to work. I will take Southport coming back home if the the wind is strong out of the north.

I didn't get any pics on today's ride but here are some random winter pics from last year (when it was cold and snowy )

Melanie said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service