The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice ride in today, indeed.

Additional apologies to the fellow that tried to follow me and another rider through a choppy, icy spot at the north end of the LBP, and fell.

Be careful folks.

I'll admit to walking my bike across a couple of sections of the LFP today . . .

Steve Courtright said:

Nice ride in today, indeed.

Additional apologies to the fellow that tried to follow me and another rider through a choppy, icy spot at the north end of the LBP, and fell.

Be careful folks.

Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be in low forties. I hope that will melt some of the many icy spots out there. I have not had any trouble, but it is kind of mildly annoying to have to pay so much attention to the road surface -  especially on a beautiful morning like we had today.

Gene, thanks for the wonderful pics!

It felt really liberating to get into the drops this morning!  Leashed to the hoods the past few weeks, feels like riding the brakes constantly.  The A.M. commute took me down Elston Ave.  Many bikes, yeah!  They drive bikes a little different on Elston ;) .  This would never happen on the Lincoln to Wells route :) .

As I waited for the red behind the white line, several cyclist pulled up in front of me, blocking the cross walk.  They all got passed in turn, with a, 'LEFT' as I approached, even the guy clipped in.  It helped being off the last two days and driving a clean freshly greased and oiled asphalt pounding '72 Super Sport. 

The P.M. commute gave me a nice stitch in my side, woohoo for going hard again! 

I forgot to ask about that bike last time it came up. Filet brazed right? Please tell me that it isn't a tall frame in orange so I don't have to go around coveting it!

Steel Driver said:

... asphalt pounding '72 Super Sport. 

Of course. How else would my face have such a dewy glow? Loving this cool,misty, grey January weather.

I did but I'm in Florida right now hehe

I got the cargo bike stuck in mud this morning crossing by the baseball fields in Humboldt Park. I had to hop off and push. I supposed I can't wait for those warm weather bike washes before cleaning the big rig.

A.M. commute was speedy, P.M. was like riding in a cloud downtown.  My inner five year old likes when we can see our breathe at stoplights.  It was fun coming home.

*>MUNDANE RESPONSE COMING THROUGH, PLEASE CHANGE LANES, GRAZIE! >*  ;)

Tony, it's Opaque Blue, 24".   Yes it was hand fillet brass brazed, in the cage at 1856 North Kostner Ave.  Along with the Paramounts, Sports Tourers and Superiors.   Wonderful article here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

Some will call it gas pipe.  The awesome thing is it's bomb proof.  Yes it has a child like one piece Ashtabula crank.  The beauty is, it can be disassemble greased and reassemble in about 8 minutes or less.  Crank alone weighs in at a mighty 4.84 pounds, yeah.  They originally came with drive trains that were screaming to be upgraded.  So it's currently a 6 speed.  Suntour barcon, Suntour Cyclone short gage DR and Suntour 6 cog freewheel.  14-15-17-19-21-23, gear inches with a 39t chainring, 46-50-55-62-70-75.  Perfect for pancake flat Chicagoland, with a few bridges and the wind.  

In March of 2011 I hit the door prize, but that's another story.  It did however necessitate a replacement  fork, bars and brakehoods.  But Tony the frame, she survived!  Schwinn chose to design their frames to literally last a life time.  So while the rest of the world uses a 7/8" (22.2mm) stem, Schwinn and the BMX folks use a .833" (21.15mm).  Chrome donor fork from a '76 Continental, identical GB Rando bars from a '71 SS and modern brakes hoods.  Oh she looks so nice with the original Brooks B15. 

I've learned Schwinn did things the Schwinn way.  For instance they measured, center of crank to the top of the seat collar.  This bike is cataloged as a 24" but it's a 58cm with a 33" standover.   

Funny but Le Tour replaced the Super Sport.  Originally they were made by Panasonic, '73-'79.  Then Kostner Ave, 80'-'81, then Panasonic '82-83.  Then Schwinn again, in the Greenville Mississippi plant '83-'91.

Now Tony you've really opened a can of worms, 22.8% of driving vintage is hunting for more vintage!  This number may vary.  Are you looking for a 25" brass fillet brazed Opaque Orange Schwinn?  Think it through.  Cause if you say yes I'll be hunting right along with ya.  My hearts burning desire is for an 84' 85' 86' Schwinn Peloton 22", also Panasonic made.   Lemeknow!   

Same cloud here this afternoon, of course no mention of it on the weather radio.  I rode anyway, getting wetter as I went along.  25 miles on the single speed and some hills I barely made it over,  a good ride for January.

Ash L. said:

I got the cargo bike stuck in mud this morning crossing by the baseball fields in Humboldt Park. I had to hop off and push. I supposed I can't wait for those warm weather bike washes before cleaning the big rig.

I've washed a bike after each of the last 4 rides.  I kind of wish it would get colder.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service