The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations Adam on your enlightenment!

2. There was a photo shoot of people riding Divvys on the Dearborn lanes this morning. It was fun to see them even if they were a bit of an obstruction (not the riders, but the photographer). 

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

I have no idea why my comment disappeared/was removed.

Active Trans was doing a photoshoot in the Dearborn bike lane near Van Buren this morning, and they had a bunch of volunteers slowly riding back and forth so they could get a better shot. Couldn't they have done this at a less busy time, rather than during the morning rush period?

I almost slammed into one of them as they cut across against my green just north of Jackson.

I have no idea why my comment disappeared/was removed.

Active Trans was doing a photoshoot in the Dearborn bike lane near Van Buren this morning, and they had a bunch of volunteers slowly riding back and forth so they could get a better shot. Couldn't they have done this at a less busy time, rather than during the morning rush period?

Fuck, is there anything people won't complain about? Tony, I think you meant entitlement, not enlightenment.

Sorry if I felt entitled to use the bike lane for its intended purpose.

I would argue that it was the other party that was entitled because they were monopolizing the lane for their own purposes (probably photos for their website/blog), while making everyone else wait for them. When I pointed this out to them, I was met with a reply of "well, we helped build this lane!". Seems pretty entitled to me.

Jason W said:

Fuck, is there anything people won't complain about? Tony, I think you meant entitlement, not enlightenment.

Stop wining and just peddle and enjoy the city in the summer!

(that comment is not directed at anyone specific. just the hope that we learn to get along)

I'm not trying to sell anything…

Domenica Cresap said:

Stop wining and just peddle and enjoy the city in the summer!

Jason complains about plastic signs in the street that get in his way while driving - this is ok.

Adam complains that people get in his way riding in the bike lane - this is not ok with Jason.

Hmmmm?

Jason W said:

When I was there, the group was riding at almost a walking pace, then stopped abruptly, blocking the entire southbound lane. They then proceeded to make a U-turn, almost colliding with another cyclist in the oncoming lane.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

I was part of that group of cyclists at the photoshoot this morning. It was People for Bikes (www.peopleforbikes.org), not Active T's event.
Can't guarantee that every "model" was very careful all the time (when I wasn't looking), but I'm sure we tried not to be a hazard there. Really, pedestrians suddenly stepping into the bike lane from the sidewalk or from the street side between the parked cars were more of an obstruction.
Relax.

I was also part of that group. I do think we were a bit of an obstruction, but we tried not to be too much of one. I did, anyway. There was very little traffic at 7A when we begain; it only picked up later. Agree with Serge re: peds. I don't blame the woman waiting on the corner who saw all these people on bikes going back and forth and back and forth and asked her companion, "what the f*** is going on??"

Adam - not that you're complaining ;) - we were all given a free 16oz glass of extra-strength entitlement when we showed up. It was very fortifying! I'm sorry you were inconvenienced. I will buy you a beer if I meet you and you don't complain too much about it, but be sure to keep an eye on me, because if you're not looking I might slip some entitlement into your beer. (re: your text-deleted post - that, finally, is the sound of you not complaining!) That was a pretty silly response you got from whomever, though.

Sorry if I felt entitled to use the bike lane for its intended purpose.

I would argue that it was the other party that was entitled because they were monopolizing the lane for their own purposes (probably photos for their website/blog), while making everyone else wait for them. When I pointed this out to them, I was met with a reply of "well, we helped build this lane!". Seems pretty entitled to me.

Jason W said:

And you sent it to 311 and to Carriage Cab, right? :-)

Serge Lubomudrov said:

By the way, I posted this morning a picture of a cab in the Dearborn bike lane. Now, THAT was an obstruction!

https://api.ning.com/files/tA1e*yQbLBkXi2m85WyQaZvxCcrMxvN16dhoukoE8Sj9TkLg-UBIjW8z*DLT6I4VwL0XQpgAO67ZSkkvQLDpDLon-IgjK2mI/1025393_10201419449268099_1377645495_o.jpg
_
_

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service