The Chainlink

Sure, I have a higher powered headlight and a blinking red rear light. BUT, motorists still seem to be blind and oddly, driving too fast down narrow streets in pitch black darkness. The last week+ has been a bit unnerving. Anyone else experiencing night blind motorists and less safe conditions since the time change? 

Views: 739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A rear fender's a definite must in this town- or at least a rack.

I've had both front and rear full-coverage fenders since 2 or 3 jackets ago. The grime is getting there some other way.

Seriously! So what happenned when the driver caught up to those cyclists?

Thankfully it was parked and not driving along.

Wha-a-a-at? Parked in the bike lane? Here in Chicago?!?

Glad it wasn’t actually as scary as the picture looks!

I have one of those Pro-Vis 360 jackets and was wearing it last year in the fall on Lawrence after dark.  A driver pulled up besides me and commented on how he could see me for almost a half mile away.  He said it really worked!

I saw this and went on eBay and picked up a winter jersey, with similar qualities, from the same company.  Thanks for the post!

I was tired of making my lights look like a car. I wear a high-viz vest 3/4 of the year (not in high summer) and even with lights it wasn't enough.

About a month ago I got this. Love it. I look so weird that I have noticed more people stop for me than otherwise.

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

Fits in my handlebar bag quite well and I've been happy with it.

I fully agree with you Yasmeen. I love bike commuting, but I had two near misses right after the time change while riding Divvy, and in both cases I believe reduced visibility played a role. The lighting on Divvy bikes is not great, and I suddenly felt like the likelyhood of being hooked or doored, especially during the evening commute, was way higher. 

I'll continue riding on weekends through the winter as much as I can, but my M-F commuting will (sadly) be on CTA for the next few months. 

Always more dangerous at night but I feel it spikes this time of year.  Maybe it's everyone (including me) who gets grumpy when it gets dark at 4pm!

Question - has anyone considered a high powered air horn or the like (something like the AirZound?) to use while biking in the city?  I feel like a bell only cuts it on the LFP and I need something more angry noticeable for the countless pedestrians and drivers who try to left- and right-hook, beat lights, block lanes, etc.  And if so, have they been effective/what would you recommend?

I have a 400 lumen front light, blinking rear red light, and two bright Monkey Lights on my wheels.  But I feel non cyclists continue to be oblivious.  Maybe I am just being too grumpy by the lousy winter-weather too?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service