The Chainlink

Views: 2811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thankfully the column is just more of Kass' hot air.  But the Trib is instigating a "digital Membership" so it is tough to access your link above.

In a nutshell, here are a few of Kass' wacky proposals today:

•City bike tolls and city bike vehicle stickers, which could bring in millions upon millions of much-needed revenue to City Hall, allowing the cash-strapped government to add new police to its woefully undermanned force.

•City stop-sign cameras to automatically ticket bicyclists who cruise past the signs without stopping, infuriating those of us in cars.

•Hefty city bike parking fees, like the city parking meter fees, easily enforced as bikers "park" in city bike racks. No sticker = big tickets. And if you don't pay, there's always the bike boot.

•And my personal favorite: the Rahm-PASS. Fixed to the bike's handlebars, the Rahm-PASS transponder would be like the I-PASS for cars on state tollways. Cyclists would cruise underneath strategically situated girders over street corners with heavy bike traffic, and they would bypass (or Rahm-PASS) the bike tollbooths run by grumpy political workers.

 

Kass' idea of a little joke.  Because further down he goes on to admit "OK, OK, OK, there is no actual plan.....Predictably, the group of elitist politically coddled bicyclists — the One Percenters of the Commuter Class — call my idea insane...."

Just another blow-hard, caught in traffic jams of their own making, and pissed that we're zooming past them on $100 vehicles, having a lot more fun, and no rage.

 

Nothing like a suburbanite making comments about how us city folks design our public spaces.

From the Tribune's website:

"Kass lives in the western suburbs with his wife and twin sons."

 

Kass is really STRETCHING to find some enemy to attack with his "wit."


He is no Royko, and he seems to be trying to find a cause to replace Daley (shortshanks?) to fill his column.

There is plenty of other areas that Kass could be attacking- he must be bored as Cameron stated above.

I wlll bet that Kass will get a lot of comments from the anti bike crowd, that equals Trib pageviews and registrations, so the ultimate goal was achieved.

I refuse to sign up for the Trib site, but if you use their mobile site, you can access the walled content w/o registering.

Now back to work.

This is exactly the kind of shotty journalism that holds this city back.  I expect a letter to the editor from Active Trans Executive Director Burke or CDOT commissioner Klien.  The Tribune embarrasses itself by way of Kass's article, and it ought to be called out.

As a newly minted suburbanite from Chicago, I take offense. Most of us work in the city and being denizens of Cook County we pay both the taxes and fees that support OUR public spaces.  Having screed that, I think Kass is an idiot; but a useful idiot. While we may think his "suggestions" insane, a lot of our fellow citizens will not - including revenue-hungry politicos and bureaucrats. As I've said before (and before and before) stuff like this is coming and it's time to stop being shocked by it and start organizing against it!

Duppie said:

Nothing like a suburbanite making comments about how us city folks design our public spaces.

From the Tribune's website:

"Kass lives in the western suburbs with his wife and twin sons."

 

I definitely would like stop sign cameras, but for cars. Let's start there. There's nothing like the feeling of living in Somalia when I (in a car) come to a stop and some MFFY zooms by it. Apologies to Somalians.

For bikes, stupidity should be ticketed, but how do you pick it out from the sea of stupidity around you?

It's hard to read that garbage legacy media "news"paper behind the paywall.  

Why bother?  It's just garbage, written by garbage.

Yep, it's coming and we need to stop saying it will never happen or discounting how stupid an idea it is and get ready to fight it.

da' Square Wheelman (aka garth) said:

As a newly minted suburbanite from Chicago, I take offense. Most of us work in the city and being denizens of Cook County we pay both the taxes and fees that support OUR public spaces.  Having screed that, I think Kass is an idiot; but a useful idiot. While we may think his "suggestions" insane, a lot of our fellow citizens will not - including revenue-hungry politicos and bureaucrats. As I've said before (and before and before) stuff like this is coming and it's time to stop being shocked by it and start organizing against it!

Duppie said:

Nothing like a suburbanite making comments about how us city folks design our public spaces.

From the Tribune's website:

"Kass lives in the western suburbs with his wife and twin sons."

 

It will never come. Licencing is administered by the state and they will never think of bikes as anything but toys. The city can't enforce the registration ordinance it already has in place, and with bike share, getting riders to use the system is going to take precedence or licencing.  


notoriousDUG said:

Yep, it's coming and we need to stop saying it will never happen or discounting how stupid an idea it is and get ready to fight it.

da' Square Wheelman (aka garth) said:

As a newly minted suburbanite from Chicago, I take offense. Most of us work in the city and being denizens of Cook County we pay both the taxes and fees that support OUR public spaces.  Having screed that, I think Kass is an idiot; but a useful idiot. While we may think his "suggestions" insane, a lot of our fellow citizens will not - including revenue-hungry politicos and bureaucrats. As I've said before (and before and before) stuff like this is coming and it's time to stop being shocked by it and start organizing against it!

Duppie said:

Nothing like a suburbanite making comments about how us city folks design our public spaces.

From the Tribune's website:

"Kass lives in the western suburbs with his wife and twin sons."

 

Excited to see what happens when and if the Dearborn corridor gets put in...

This is what folks such as Kass conveniently forget. There are really good, objective societal (and governmental) interests in increasing bicycling and decreasing automobiling. As a result, government has an interest in increasing participation. 

This may not always be the case. Or legislators who don't understand these interests may interfere. In the meantime, I think the best thing we can do is to continue to promote a greater understanding of why there's an interest (for all citizens, including those who will always drive) in bicycle infrastructure.

It's funny. For folks who won't ever bicycle, the best thing that could ever happen would be for 25% of the other cars on the road to convert their trips to bicycle... there'd be enough less traffic to make a real difference in the remaining drivers' lives. But those drivers have a hard time understanding why they should be promoting (and funding) bicycle infrastructure.

-jbn


Charlie Short said:

It will never come. Licencing is administered by the state and they will never think of bikes as anything but toys. The city can't enforce the registration ordinance it already has in place, and with bike share, getting riders to use the system is going to take precedence or licencing.  

I wasn't being facetious. ATV's and Boats are motorized, and generally, high-ticket, high sales tax items. Canoes and Kayaks are limited use, and can both use waterways equally. Bikes are currently not an intended road user in Illinois and don't use the road in the same way that cars do. Illinois law enforcement could not keep up with regulating bikes.

It was suggested to me that bikes get licensed like dogs, in that you renew yearly and only pay a fine (for non-compliance) when you break the law. My impression is that CPD (and other districts) don't want to waste their time with this kind of piece-meal ticketing.

Cameron Puetz said:

There are enough toys (boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc) that require licensing (if only for fee collection) that I wouldn't rule it out. I could see the state attempt to start a licensing system for bikes similar to the one for canoes and kayaks.



Charlie Short said:

It will never come. Licencing is administered by the state and they will never think of bikes as anything but toys. The city can't enforce the registration ordinance it already has in place, and with bike share, getting riders to use the system is going to take precedence or licencing.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service