The Chainlink

Husband, wife sue "reckless" Dearborn bike lane cyclist

Views: 3328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I mentioned before, pedestrians have the right of way...even if they're jaywalking or in a bike/car lane.  I don't expect any of them to yield to me.  Just keep my eyes open so I can be as ready as I can be to stop/swerve.

I stand corrected.  I'll just keep yielding to them whenever they're in my way because I'm more likely to do so than they are...and I'd prefer not to knock them down and/or fall off my bike.

This is true for crosswalks that don't have stop signs or lights. They don't have the right of way to go against signals or to occupy lanes meant for other purposes. If that's true cyclists could legally ride in all lanes obstructing traffic. I'm riding on the sidewalks and lets see how mad people get.

Makes perfect sense to me. I consider Dearborn quite rideable most of the time. It just requires caution and slower speeds. Visibility is quite good in most locations, which makes most potential crashes avoidable if one rides at an appropriate speed for the amount of traffic in and around the bike lane.

Yes exactly!

Realistic expectations are huge here. If one expects to be able to speed through the loop by any means (bike, taxi, train etc) one is bound to be disappointed. 

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050...

11-1002

Part (a): Drivers have to yield to pedestrians IN A CROSSWALK (Marked or at an intersection).

Part (b): Pedestrians can't step in front of vehicles IF THEY CAN'T STOP IN TIME.

Part (d): Other vehicles CAN'T PASS vehicles stopped at crosswalks.

11-1002.5

Requires vehicles to yield at crosswalks and school zones.

11-1003

Pedestrians must yield when crossing between intersections without a marked crosswalk.

---

So, still need enough info to decide between 11-1003 / 11-1002a / 11-1002b.

I saw a vehicle pass another vehicle stopped at the crosswalk for pedestrians in Oak Park the other day (westbound near Lake and Harlem), only to get to the red light at Harlem. Thankfully, the pedestrians were not in the passing vehicle's path. Ridiculous!

OK, for the record: I never bike Dearborn in either direction because I just don't have the patience for it.  But isn't there a place in the complete streets schema for riders who want to feel like they're living dangerously and getting the full urban biking experience while also moving at a glacially slow, snail's pace?

And when will the pedestrians get off my lawn???

I'm noticing the end of the Dearborn protected lane is even more dangerous as drivers seeing cyclists turn left onto Kinzie and cars going straigh are now just turning left without noticing the RED arrow or checking for bikes, but lets keep those safe lanes for cyclists being made.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service