The Chainlink

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140326/humboldt-park/machete-wield...

I'm not a violent guy, but, these idiots need a beating.

Views: 2184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure of the legality but I carry bear spray. Which is much stronger than standard mace. Is Humbolt Park considered the North side or West side???

I'm not sure how bear spray would prevent the kind of attacks we're talking about here, when someone runs out unexpectedly and whacks you with a board.

Purists consider Chicago to be divided into three wedges, with everything between the north branch and the south branch constituting the west side.

Kris Hendry said:

Not sure of the legality but I carry bear spray. Which is much stronger than standard mace. Is Humbolt Park considered the North side or West side???

That's interesting H'.  I recently took a cab home from the office and the driver kept bragging to me that he didn't need the GPS, it's all just a grid. I consider the bear spray about as strong as whats issued to law enforcement. I took a women's self defense class back in college and they recommended it.

Bear spray is plenty strong-- it's just not all that practical to use it while on a bicycle.

Very good chance that you'll spray yourself if there's any wind, for one thing.

For walking around in questionable places, sure.

Last fall, I was riding home from the Loop down Augusta (to River Forest). Friday, about 6, still light out. I had just gone under the train overpass near Homan, when I saw about 10-15 kids on the sidewalk. None looked to be over 12-13 years old. And I remember thinking, "Hey, Ebert just died, maybe the West Side is about to erupt into violence?" (Ha.) Anyway, when I drew closer, they swarmed into the street. One pushed a rolling garbage can into the side of my bike, nearly knocking me off and breaking the fender. Another wacked me in the head with a big blue bag filled with what felt like telephone books. Nearly knocked my glasses off--luckily they stayed on, didn't want to have to stop. Not sure what these Lord of the Flies bastards were up to--just messing around, or looking to steal something--but luckily nothing fell (including my glasses) so I was able to keep going -- cursing them over my shoulder the whole way.

Coda: I now ride Fulton west to around Sacramento, then take Lake St.

Coda II: No comment on whether this is the knockout game or wilding or what have you. Whatever it is, whatever color they are/I am, doesn't matter... it sucks. I think we can all agree on that...

Fred, just thank God nothing worse happened. I'm debating on buying one of those giant chain locks that I could use as a whip if needed. I have relatives that live in Oak Park and I'm not sure if I could make the trip safely.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service