The Chainlink

As seen on a bike rack on LaSalle at Monroe.  Charming, eh?

Views: 1876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it was a sticker relevant to cycling and potentially of interest (and not interfering with anyone's ability to lock up to the rack), without any potential value judgment (bikes = junk), then it's a different story.

David Barish said:

Just throwing this out there for consideration--

would our reactions differ if there was a sticker for bike winter, a bike shop, a concert, a local microbrewery?  The sign does not really impede locking up bikes.  I think a value judgement was implicit here. I agree with the removal...I'm just saying...

Hey thanks everyone!

We are grateful for a few things today: 

a.) Friendly people like you who give us valuable feedback

b.) Modern communication that allow us to right our wrongs on the day they occur

c.) Your humor and understanding

Cheers,

Natalie
PR Manager at 1-800-GOT-JUNK?

Natalie - Thank you for your prompt response.  Extra points for delivering it with humor.

those signs can be used for making fenders. I also know a guy that uses them to make rigid paniers by putting them inside old backpacks( just cut off the straps of the back packs).

A sticker does not impede the ability to use the rack.

If a bike shop put a sign like that on a rack I would be twice as annoyed by it as I would a sign from someplace not bike related.

David Barish said:

Just throwing this out there for consideration--

would our reactions differ if there was a sticker for bike winter, a bike shop, a concert, a local microbrewery?  The sign does not really impede locking up bikes.  I think a value judgement was implicit here. I agree with the removal...I'm just saying...

Thanks for the link. I sent them a nastygram, too.

Anne Alt said:

Wire cutters anyone?

And we can send them the message that we don't want THEIR junk on our bike racks.  Here's their contact link.

Here's my message to them:

When your advertising signs are attached to City of Chicago bike racks, blocking needed bike parking spaces, that's JUNK.  Please STOP doing this!  

You owe the Chicago bike community an apology for this unacceptable marketing tactic.

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/got-junk

I found something more obstructing this week.  The Chicago Public School on 1500 N. Greenview put a large metal sign prohibiting dog walking on a bike rack.  It practically covers the whole bike rack and it's not easily removable.  I sent a photo of it to Ben Gomberg because I don't know who took over the job of bike rack placement at CDOT.  But I have not received an answer yet.  Does anybody know who took over Chris' job at CDOT?

This absolutely applies.

I find it bizarre that a presumably licensed and incorporated business uses illegal methods as a primary means of advertising, and their flippant tone considering that context is really, really strange.

Lisa Curcio said:

Not entirely sure about this, but I think this section of the Chicago ordinances prohibits signs like that:

Title 10, Section 10-28-064

Except as specifically permitted by this code or when authorized by contract
entered into by the purchasing agent in cooperation with the commissioner of
transportation pursuant to Section 10-28-045, no person shall place, install or
knowingly maintain on the surface of the public way any sign or a structure or
device to which such a sign is affixed. Any such sign, structure or device that
is placed, installed or maintained on the public way in violation of this
section is hereby declared a public nuisance and may be removed at any time by
the commissioner of business affairs and consumer protection at the expense of
the person responsible for the violation.

Any person
who violates this section shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200.00
and not more than $500.00 for each offense. Each day that such a violation
occurs shall be considered a separate offense.

According to this it is their policy to "abide by all local laws and ordinances."

http://causs.net/dc/dcboard.php?az=set_linear_mode&forum=8&...

So, where were the "overzealous" team members actually supposed to place these signs?

Something stinks here.

Kathy - good question. And if you still have the picture, can you upload it here too?

Kathy Schubert 'n Suzy Schnauzer said:

I found something more obstructing this week.  The Chicago Public School on 1500 N. Greenview put a large metal sign prohibiting dog walking on a bike rack.  It practically covers the whole bike rack and it's not easily removable.  I sent a photo of it to Ben Gomberg because I don't know who took over the job of bike rack placement at CDOT.  But I have not received an answer yet.  Does anybody know who took over Chris' job at CDOT?

I saw the photos of the sign attached at Starbucks, and it was on the ground? How could it really stop anyone from locking up a bike in the rack? Unless someone really struggles with common sense approaches to problems in life, or they are just a complete bafoon? Just saying, if thats the worst thing that happens in the day, someone needs to stay in bed, or find real issues in the world to complain about.

The implication being anyone concerned about something like this simply "has nothing better to do?"

With no exceptions, the people I know who have a well-developed enough sense of civic duty and stewardship for their surroundings to care about something like the placement of these signs are also people who have a lot to do, and accomplish a lot.

What I don't quite get is the people who have nothing better to do ridicule the folks that take the time to try to improve the world around them.  What's the point? What does that accomplish? Serious waste of time IMO.

Mike Miller said:

I saw the photos of the sign attached at Starbucks, and it was on the ground? How could it really stop anyone from locking up a bike in the rack? Unless someone really struggles with common sense approaches to problems in life, or they are just a complete bafoon? Just saying, if thats the worst thing that happens in the day, someone needs to stay in bed, or find real issues in the world to complain about.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service