The Chainlink

 

As the astronomical wheel that rolls and twists us into Fall finishes another crank of the cosmological cadence, the foilage is starting to get colorful! I figure we are between 10 and 20 percent.

So far?.. The drought seems to have made this year's show a li'l crispy... A little pastel... Maybe a bit silvery. Not sure when peak color 2012 will pop... Or just how much!?! Past color peaks have seen us pedal well into October. I am not feeling that this year.

Peak color date...

Any guesses?

Any fav colorful routes to suggest?

pedal on beluvved!!!!!!

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've chanted it many times... Lower Wacker Drive!!!... Lower Wacker Drive!!!

Ride a painted pony let the spinning wheel turn. Drop all your troubles, by the river side

I have hosted fall tours the last two years and the best time is usually between the second and third weekend of October. Who knows with this up and down weather. I think - not positive - that both spring and fall foliage changes have to do with soil conditions (temperature, moisture, etc.) more than anything else.

Graceland and Rosehill cemetarys are two of the best places in the city for colors.  No riding in Graceland, but no one has ever stopped me in Rosehill.  The North Branch Trail has some nice spots.  Not a big variety of colors but some nice yellows.  I always like crusing down the overpass at Oakton through that dark but bright yellow area in Miami Woods.

How have the colors along the Fox River been in past years?

right on! i can historically triangulate on those dates as well. well spoken, deciduously speaking, for indeed "Fall" is a defense mechanism against the coming 'drought' of winter's frozen ground.



Gene Tenner said:

I have hosted fall tours the last two years and the best time is usually between the second and third weekend of October. Who knows with this up and down weather. I think - not positive - that both spring and fall foliage changes have to do with soil conditions (temperature, moisture, etc.) more than anything else.

Fall on the fox is pretty fall foxy, but she smells a bit sometimes... yet then again? me too!!!!! a-hem!

the 'prairie trail'? from fox, north to rt. 12/173 and the state line? very scenic! I enjoyed many a side trip/hike at glacial park. where the prairie trail' crosses the conservation area's gateway at hart rd.

happy friday, y'all!



JeffB said:

Graceland and Rosehill cemetarys are two of the best places in the city for colors.  No riding in Graceland, but no one has ever stopped me in Rosehill.  The North Branch Trail has some nice spots.  Not a big variety of colors but some nice yellows.  I always like crusing down the overpass at Oakton through that dark but bright yellow area in Miami Woods.

How have the colors along the Fox River been in past years?

The pattern throughout this year has been for plants and trees to be ahead of the normal schedule on just about everything.  From that and the severity of the drought, my guess would be a brief peak in the first week in October.  Maples have been especially hard hit by the drought, so I suspect that their color may be disappointing this year. 

Honey locusts in locations that didn't get watered started dropping leaves VERY early - just turning brown and dropping, without the usual lovely golden yellow.

lest we forget.... this year? what was it? 87 degrees the last day of winter?.. as you said.. all a teeny bit ahead of schedule

Right, just a teensy bit.  Trees on my block have 4-6 weeks ahead of schedule on everything starting with that March heat wave  - leaf bud development, being fully leafed out, getting flowers, dropping seeds, etc.

Let me second the North Shore Channel Trail and add a nuance: it's not just trees that turn, it's ground cover and prairie grasses and all aspects of the botanical world we live in.  Look down as well as up at the trees, and watch for migratory birds.  A great time of year.

I'll second that thought.  The trail offers a beautiful color palette at this time of year.

Bill Savage said:

Let me second the North Shore Channel Trail and add a nuance: it's not just trees that turn, it's ground cover and prairie grasses and all aspects of the botanical world we live in.  Look down as well as up at the trees, and watch for migratory birds.  A great time of year.

Stay tuned ever-luvvin!.... Fall Color Tour opportunities.... Event Pending approval: The Prairie Trail Dog N Suds Half-Century!!!

Ride with us from the cheeseland state line to Elgin!

Sunday Oct 7

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service