The Chainlink

Could not find it anywhere on the channel5 website. I was watching the news and they only gave the story a quick 30 seconds. Something like $10,000 in stuff stolen. I can't find it anywhere though.

Views: 1340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know iron cycles closed their montrose location in part due to break ins. Would not surprise me.

And there was this a couple years ago:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/08/high-end-bikes-taken-from-li...

Tandemonium said:

I know iron cycles closed their montrose location in part due to break ins. Would not surprise me.
Here is the story. Ch.2 news. Ch. 5, 10pm does rapid fire, 7-12 second news stories. Too fast/no details ! ?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/16/thieves-steal-20k-worth-of-h...
I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

Perhaps the insurance industry has more power to lean on police forces to really go after thieves like this. I have a feeling that this case will be pressed much harder than the typical bike theft from a private individual.

And I'm surprised this place has 20k worth of "really high end bikes" on hand.  And, like the "Running Away" theft linked above, I'm 'surprised' they don't make use of available resources (stolenbicycleregistry, CSBR, etc,) to get the word out and give the bikes some chance of being identified out in the wild.



Self-sealing Stembolt said:

I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

Perhaps the insurance industry has more power to lean on police forces to really go after thieves like this. I have a feeling that this case will be pressed much harder than the typical bike theft from a private individual.


Why the surprise? The story mentions its five bikes. At 4k each that is high end but not highly unusual. That does not sound like a lot of high end inventory. The 20k figure is, I am sure, the retail value of the bikes. Its unknown, at least from this story, whether they have used resources such stolenbicyclerregistry. They did have surveillance and maybe we will get a chance to  watch it and see if anybody recognizes the miscreants who robbed the shop.  
h' 1.0 said:

And I'm surprised this place has 20k worth of "really high end bikes" on hand.  

It is known that they have not used said resources, so far.

The surprise is based on quick research about the type of business they do (rentals and repairs primarily) and lack of personal familiarity.  I suppose I could have looked up the wrong shop.

Sounds like you have more familiarity with their business and the robbery than I do, thanks for the input.
 
David Barish said:


Why the surprise? The story mentions its five bikes. At 4k each that is high end but not highly unusual. That does not sound like a lot of high end inventory. The 20k figure is, I am sure, the retail value of the bikes. Its unknown, at least from this story, whether they have used resources such stolenbicyclerregistry. They did have surveillance and maybe we will get a chance to  watch it and see if anybody recognizes the miscreants who robbed the shop.  
h' 1.0 said:

And I'm surprised this place has 20k worth of "really high end bikes" on hand.  

Nope. I know nothing. I just figured 5 bikes was not that unusual. If it really is that unusual I wonder if the thieves knew the bikes would be there.

They do primarily rentals and repairs, but they also sell bikes--new and rental used--and bikes are often right outside their small building while the shop is open.  The building is pretty small, and I am surprised that there is space to keep bikes inside.  But someone could certainly have seen them putting bikes away at the end of the day--it is right along the path, next to tennis courts and softball fields, and just off the parking lot

"We believe bicycling should be a fun and affordable hobby for all cyclists." They say on their website.

Affordable $2000.00 wheel sets?

high end race bikes can run 20K by themselves, but not many shops stock that kind of bike. Sorry to hear this shop was hit, Thieves SUCK

That shop is awesome, BTW. I've bought stuff there and they throw it on, no charge.

They trued my wheels, adjusted derailleur, all no charge when I bought a new cluster and chain for my road bike.

Bought a tire and he put it on no charge. (They weren't busy but still! Most shops would charge for that.)

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service