The Chainlink

I'm sharing a story as both a warning and a poll. I commute from Lakeview to River North and use the LFT for all of the north/south portion of my commute. This morning at about 6am (pitch black out) I got to the curve just south of Oak Street and stopped to survey the waves, which were relatively mild. I hesitantly decided I would go, so I rode very slowly while hugging the wall..the waves weren't coming up nearly that high though. About halfway through the curve, I realized the entire path was ice. Since the path is sloped towards the lake, after about 10-20 yards my bike slipped out from under me and I fell...the next couple seconds were the scariest of my life. Because the path was completely covered in ice and on a slant, I slid down towards the water, unable to stop myself. I knew that if I ended up in the water that it was all over. Keep in mind there were still waves coming up, and with all the ice I could see something or someone getting pulled back into the lake as the waves race back out. Thankfully, I stopped about halfway down the path, but I could barely get up because it was all ice. By chance I was on a crack in the pavement which had some divots in it, which I was able to use for grip as I crawled back up the icy slope towards the wall. I could still barely stand up even while against the wall, but I sloooowly walked back towards Oak Street and was fine but shaken up.

First, I feel like a fool for having chanced it. I've ridden that stretch probably 2,000 times and like many others I'm sure, have witnessed some potentially dangerous stuff on that same stretch due to lake conditions, mostly from people underestimating the conditions. Consider me scared straight. I'm normally very safety conscious so I keep wondering how I could've been so dumb to risk it at all. 

Second, am I crazy in thinking that this really is an insanely dangerous ~200 yard stretch of the LFT that needs addressing? It is the only portion of the path with no protection or barrier of any kind from the lake, which is at record high levels. There is are no breakwaters protecting that section, and the northern breakwater for the playpen is shaped so that the waves are actually funneled right into that curve, which is partially how the waves can get so large right there. Then there is the sheer ~10 foot wall meaning people are essentially trapped down there...no way to scale it and not even a railing or anything. I can't begin to tell you how scary that wall was. And it's all sloped to the lake, where there is no breakwater and no shore. The whole thing is almost like a James Bond villain's death contraption, and I was almost the first casualty this morning. 

I wanted to warn people but also ask if I'm off base in thinking this is a potentially dangerous little stretch? I'm not sure if my story does justice to how terrifying my experience was. Extending the breakwater or elevating the path or putting in a railing along the wall seem like obvious improvements. Any feedback is appreciated. 

Views: 1978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last week, your worst case scenario came true for me.  I fell into the lake with the bike near Ohio Street on my commute in.  It sucked, but I got fished out by a good Samaritan.  He ended up going back in to salvage my bike.  The damage wasn't too bad, just a bent derailleur hanger.  Water got into the cable housing and the sub freezing northerly wind froze them.  I had no shifting or braking, was soaking wet and couldn't feel my hands on my ride back home. 

The entire stretch of LFP between Ohio and Oak is dangerous with the high lake levels this spring.

take the inner drive when it's icy.    dont risk it.  i have had a few close calls there too. its awful.  be well

MRP

If you want everything safe I suggest a bike ride at Disneyland.  We can't bubble wrap the world.  Keep your head up and eyes open.  Other than keeping the path in usable condition I see no need to change that stretch.  Good luck and happy riding.

I truly fail to understand how a regular user of this portion of the LFT would not have an alternate route for days when lake waves and ice conditions are as such.

It can get pretty hairy there when there's a good wind form the north. I haven't seen if the new stepped curb helps or makes it worse.

But even the area with breakwaters can still be dangerous. A few years ago there was a nasty storm on Halloween that tore up asphalt all along the stretch from Fullerton to Navy Pier. 

I haven't seen the curve this winter but it's usually dangerous to walk your bike across let alone ride so I get off at North and take State or Dearborn into town.

Yea, I fell on my ass at that curve on Monday.

I don't think a 3ft. wall is practical nor would it be utterly effective. Really, folks need to use the tools in their skulls.

Ahhh, the olden' days!

And it's not even just that curve! There's some damage on the LFP just north of navy pier, and cyclists can either slow to a crawl (or dismount) to go over the damaged path, or ride on the walk path that sits right up against the lake. Unfortunately, that walk path can also get icy when it's windy and cold enough. A couple of weeks ago I came upon someone who had just come out of the water after trying to ride the icy walk path to circumvent that damage. Dude was in his skivvies and looked to be in shock. Then I watched him jump back in to the water to retrieve his bike! The water there is only a few feet deep, but it was only 25 degrees out that day (March 9). 

OMG ! !

Yup, you and I had the identical experience AM. For ten or so years I rode the path and for fun, I'd give Lake Michigan the finger and say I won again this year. Then, I too went down and slid, and slid. I went down in the middle of winter, on ice six inches thick and with waves crashing up toward the wall. Not smart and certainly not a good feeling thinking that were I to go in, I wasn't coming out.

Now that I write this, I realize I haven't ridden the path more than twice in a year when it was once my daily commute (and exercise.) 

I will be on it tomorrow though. And yes, I will probably still give old mother nature the same nod. 

Lake Shore Flood Advisory:
4-13-18, 3 p.m. to 4:15, 10 a.m.
Oak Street Curve Bike Path Warning.
N.W.S.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service