The Chainlink

Yesterday Monday August 27th at 4:45 pm I was riding north on Dearborn after work.  It was crazy windy and gusting back and forth, so I was taking my time, no hurry.  Between Lake and Wacker, another cyclist passed me going northbound, at quite a fast speed, and I thought to myself, you're going a little bit fast for riding in the city at rush hour buddy.

Not seconds later, as I approached Wacker, I hear a CRASH at the northwest corner of Dearborn and Wacker.  Two bikers smacked into each other, one was speed racer I just described.  They were young in their twenties and quick enough to land on their feet, not looking like either one of them was hurt, although he had to have hit him at at least 20 mph.  Speed racer looks at the light and points to it, as if the other guy didn't comprehend.  He indeed did have the green, as he was just ahead of me when he crashed.  The other guy obviously wasn't paying attention.  I heard him say "I'm sorry man".

That's my point.  In the city, at rush hour, with pedestrians and bikes and cars scattered about and everyone in a hurry to get home, please slow down.  Even when you have the right of way, you risk an accident by going just a little too fast. 

Views: 987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to fast and this guy... I crashed so that I would not hurt him. Concussion. I don't remember getting home. Just a bloody knee and elbow. Broken helmet. Slow down people. It is not a race. 

So this guy walks out in front of you and you take the wrong and the injury? Yell at them next time. I always yell LOOK on dearborn. 

In the rest of the video (which I deleted), you can hear me yelling. You can see him try to help me. You can see how I just turned around and somehow got home... and how the GoPro kept filming for another three hours while I was unconscious on the couch. 

I yell at them now. STOOOOOOOP!

It was that guys fault, not yours.

But, I agree with you that it's not a race, and it would've been better to go a little slower.

I'd rather go slower than I rightfully am entitled to go, and be safe, than be in the right, and crash.

One person  did something  illegal.  The guy who blew the light  and  hit speed racer did something  illegal.  Speed racer did nothing  illegal but his  actions made David notice him before the crash. We all  make our own  choices about what speed  is safe. Certainly,  going  20 mph is within the posted speed limit.  Whether  flying  at 20 in  a bike  lane at  rush hour is a good idea is debatable. I will assume  Speed knew what  he was doing and  knew the risks and knew how they change depending  on how he rides. On  the one hand if we ride  with fear we don't get  out of bed, don't get on  our bike and  are paralyzed by our  anxiety. On the other hand, we give  ourselves a better  chance of getting  home by riding  with awareness  of the situation and  being able to overcome the stupidity and illegality of others whether they be drivers, riders or  pedestrians. Speed could have  given  himself better  odds of not being  in  a crash and not being hit by a red light blower but he chose otherwise. 

I,  too, try to avoid victim blaming  especially as we read about car v.  bike  incidents with tragic consequences. Given that speed has  lived  to ride another  day I find it  easier  to  be a Monday morning  quarterback regarding  his actions and how  it may inform my riding and  yours.

On those Dearborn lanes and anywhere downtown, I personally ride more like a tortoise than a hare, even more than usual.  With all the crazy stuff and oblivious drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists around there, I value my ability to stop almost on a dime more than anything. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service