The Chainlink

Cyclist doored, struck has fractured skull and 23 broken ribs but is OK; hit-and-run driver still at large

It was a perfect storm of factors that are all too common when Chicago bicyclists are injured or killed by cars. Dustin Valenta, 27, a delivery biker, yoga teacher and actor was commuting in Wicker Park when a driver opened her door on him, throwing him into traffic. As he lay in the road, another motorist stuck him and then fled the scene.

Valenta suffered a fractured skull, broken pelvis, 23 cracked ribs and a punctured lung but he miraculously survived and is currently alert and in good spirits. The question remains: why would a driver who accidentally struck someone already lying in the road not stop to give aid? Valenta's family is currently working to bring the hit-and-run motorist to justice: http://chi.streetsblog.org/2013/02/14/cyclist-doored-then-struck-hit-and-run-driver-still-at-large/

Friends have set up donation sites to help cover medical expenses for Valenta, who is uninsured, at Go Fund Me and Give Forward. Cut Cats Courier and Johnny Sprockets bike shop are organizing a benefit event for late February or early March, probably at Bangers and Lace tavern.

Views: 4629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Citibank security footage is being delivered to my office now. I will post again after I review it. However, the general description of the vehicle we are looking for is A LARGE WHITE PICK UP TRUCK WITH A CAB ON THE TRUCK BED.

I will post more details after reviewing the footage. Channel 7 and Fox will be at my office tonight to run stories on this incident. Thanks to everyone who has helped and continues to help.

John Greenfield said:

When I talked to Mike Keating he hadn't seen the bank's security footage yet. Hopefully the footage will help identify the driver.

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

Is it possible to get a description of the hit and run driver and vehicle?

HERE IS A SCREENSHOT FROM THE SURVEILLANCE VIDEO. THE VIDEO SHOWS THIS TRUCK RUN OVER DUSTIN VALENTA AS HE LAID IN THE STREET AFTER BEING DOORED. IT APPEARS TO BE A WHITE PICKUP TRUCK WITH A WHITE CAB IN THE BACK. THERE MAY BE A LOGO OR WINDOWS ON THE CAB. 

I will post another video after I get this enhanced. Thanks to everyone for their help. 

The bank's image is lousy, it's barely readable.  But the forward angle shape of the window of the camper cap and the space above the rear tire look to me a little like this Ford F250:

To me, these wheel wells look more squared off than the bank photo's semicircular wheel wells.  But you're right on the spacing between windows.

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

This looks promising in terms of form factor:  The GMC Sierra 2500HD...

Thunder Snow said:

The bank's image is lousy, it's barely readable.  But the forward angle shape of the window of the camper cap and the space above the rear tire look to me a little like this Ford F250:

The readers at Jalopnik.com are pretty good (and quick) at identifying hit and run vehicles. I don't know the process for submitting cases but they may be able to help, you can probably just email the video and photos to the editors. 

Here is an example.

Mike Keating said:

HERE IS A SCREENSHOT FROM THE SURVEILLANCE VIDEO. THE VIDEO SHOWS THIS TRUCK RUN OVER DUSTIN VALENTA AS HE LAID IN THE STREET AFTER BEING DOORED. IT APPEARS TO BE A WHITE PICKUP TRUCK WITH A WHITE CAB IN THE BACK. THERE MAY BE A LOGO OR WINDOWS ON THE CAB. 

I will post another video after I get this enhanced. Thanks to everyone for their help. 

Nice job, Chi!  You could be right, though I'm still sticking to my contention of the curvier rear wheel well being Ford.  But you've got the window spacing very, very close.  Hopefully, Mike Keating can get someone to enhance the image.  Even at the native resolution, the image will be clearer in a moving video than a still frame with all the aliasing.

Here's a 2008 Ford Ranger supercab:

With rear cab window covered:

Yes, with the rear passenger window covered, the Ranger's a contender.  Nice find, h'!

There's a red light camera at Milwaukee and division. I wonder if that footage is accessible?

My two cents worth - 1997-2004 Ford F-150.

Yeah, seriously, if your video can't ID something the size of a pickup truck, how is that going to help catch a bank robber?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service