The Chainlink

So I'm trying to plan a little bike trip for this summer. I want to ride some of the I&M Canal because, well, it sounds nice! Of course, you have to get through the suburbs first. I've plotted what I think will be an okay route to the start of the I&M Canal in Joliet, but I'm unfamiliar with most of the roads out there, so I'd love some advice from anybody with more experience. Where possible I'm taking advice from the Route 66 Trail Guide, but it doesn't seem to use as many trails as it could (then again it's almost five years old). I have a map from the Cook County Forest Preserve that makes it look like you can take the Centennial Trail all the way from Willow Springs Road to the Will County part of the trail, which takes you to Joliet, but Google Maps doesn't agree (not that they're always right). If anybody can confirm or deny that it'd help a lot too, although I could probably figure that out on a little bike adventure with a Metra assist.

Anyway, here's a link to the route. Thanks for looking!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/28024658

Views: 1425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have ridden the I & M Canal from Seneca to Romeo Rd in sections. it is a fun ride. The Iron Works Section and the the section from I-55 to Dresden dam are the most fun parts. Riding from 2nd Ave in Lockport to Willow Springs tomorrow if I can figure out this rt 83 thing. I saw in another thread that you have to go around rt 83 somehow? The Canla path is not nearly as fun as the Prairie Path but still fun. Bring lots of water. There are not a lot of spots to stop for water. Downtown Lockport, Downtown Joliet, McKinley Woods and Morris are the only sports I have seen so far.

I have enjoyed this discussion.  I plan to ride from St. Louis to Chicago this September, so the information on various routes has been helpful.  I'll likely just reverse whatever route you come up with, if you don't mind sharing whatever your final version.  Thanks!

What route did you take from the Lou to Chicago? I looked at some routes from Springfield to St Louis last year and am thinking about riding down to St Louis around June 21st.

David Fiedler said:

I have enjoyed this discussion.  I plan to ride from St. Louis to Chicago this September, so the information on various routes has been helpful.  I'll likely just reverse whatever route you come up with, if you don't mind sharing whatever your final version.  Thanks!

You could try this...

http://www.bikelib.org/maps-and-rides/route-guides/route-66-trail/

Todd Bremer said:

What route did you take from the Lou to Chicago? I looked at some routes from Springfield to St Louis last year and am thinking about riding down to St Louis around June 21st.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service