The Chainlink

Constantly scaring would be doorers. A guilty accidental pleasure.

Having learned the hard way about getting doored before the bliss of buffered bike lanes. Riding the streets since then has me riding slow enough on tight busy streets, looking into cars to see if there are people.So far with that habit, I always manage to stop on time as the occupants push the door open and they see me right there. I don't intend to scare them but it always turns out that way, with them screaming in fright at times.

Views: 2122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been yelling ***BOOM*** or ***CRASH*** for years, simulating what could have happened.  I do believe it's effective.  Without fear, they don't learn.  Thanx for validating Juan.

I have been using a whistle for about 8 months.  It is hard to tell if it works, but I have not been doored.  I had an accident (cutoff) on Dearborn which prompted the purchase.  I would rather have it and use than ride without it.  I use it a lot on the new Dearborn bike lane going south (from the north) to get the pedestrians out of the bike lane, they refuse to look to the north.  Sometimes it works to keep buses and taxis from cutting me off on Grand going west.  (I was considering sirens but no pays any attention to those either).   

Do you ride with the whistle in your mouth the whole time?

When I'm in the door zone, I ride very slowly and I try to look into every vehicle before I pass it. You have to ride under the assumption that it's not a question of if but when someone will open their door on you. Fortunately, I have yet to be doored but if I see that it's inevitable, now mind you I'm riding really slowly, I'm aiming for the softest landing possible, which may very well be the arm of the person who just doored me. Share the pain and the driver gets the ticket ($300?), although they could still sue you but you could sue them too.

You're welcome. I was wondering if they can sue me for making them soil themselves.

Andrew Bedno said:

I've been yelling ***BOOM*** or ***CRASH*** for years, simulating what could have happened.  I do believe it's effective.  Without fear, they don't learn.  Thanx for validating Juan.

Yes, have to ride with the whistle in the mouth, can't grab it quickly enough to respond.  Not easy in the bitter cold weather, but better than yelling.  

Most whistles are high pitched or a combination of high and medium pitch, so drivers are more likely to hear it.  I blow it for short intervals to replicate how people honk their car horns.  However!!   This morning, while driving south in the bike lanes on Dearborn, not one pedestrian standing in my lane looking south, looked north and got out of the way.  I think the whistle gives me a edge.  A taxi driver nearly hit me on State and Grand last night, but I think he stopped when he heard the whistle.  The two flashing lights on the front of the bike apparently did not catch his attention (both 40 lumen 4 LED).   I won't leave home without the whistle, just use it in traffic, not on the LFT.  

I yell "On your left" when I am on the lakefront, (not that anyone responds to that either).  

I think the whistle was $4.  This is the review I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Gn8uZNX-c.  I bought the ACR whistle from Campmor.    The $1 Harbor Freight whistle also got good reviews, I could not find one a location close to the city.  I think you can find the dollar $1 whistle at the dollar stores now.  

People are in their own worlds when they cross the street too often. Last year I saw a guy ahead of me start to cross in front of me (not in a crosswalk) and I rang my bike bell to warn him of my approach. He didn't even twitch. It wasn't until I was nearly on top of him and said "Excuse me" that he "heard" me. Maybe the whistle is a good idea.

Since this summer, I have learned the best way to teach a doorer not to do it again is to knock the door of the car. Pretty sure that guy is looking from now on. His insurance was none to pleased about the repairs to both my bike, his car, and the "pain and suffering" compensation they distributed for me and both kids.

Lack of situational awareness can infect people in many modes of transport, but sometimes it is really remarkable. Many years ago, before I moved here, when I would come regularly from Detroit to visit my then-girlfriend, I was riding along, I think, Fullerton in weekday-evening traffic in a marked bike lane, approaching a light with a line of parked cars to my right and stopped traffic to my left. Suddenly, a pedestrian crossing mid-block strolls diagonally right across my lane right the f**k in front of me and I throw all the anchors out and drop off the back of the saddle to get my weight back, and still pick the rear wheel up off the ground as I try to avoid hitting him; I stop with my front wheel in between his legs and he doesn't even break his stride as he glances over his shoulder at me. Sheesh!

Riding home on Monroe last night, many pedestrians walked out in the middle of the road because no cars were coming, yet the didn't notice me on my bike, despite my flashing headlight. I have a loud mouth and am use to shouting noticable warnings, but this time an mid-level, friendly "hello" oddly came to my lips instead. This got probably more attention than normal and made a few people laugh, myself included. It brought some levity to a situation we bikers face often.

Sorry. This is not a dooring issue.

Had a situation tonight going south-bound on Halsted (enroute to Archer). It seemed like it was from a bad "Z" movie (waaaaaay below a B-movie)......a group of people were crossing against the light (the one by the Hull House on Halsted) because they didn't see any traffic. It was that steady "drizzle" that felt so nice, so I wasn't going to fast. I still have some apprehension about being able to stop immediately, so I ride kind of s-l-o-w (6-10 mph on my bike computer).

I started yelling "Hey ! Look out !" before I got near the intersection, trying to get them to at least look in my direction so I could get them to either slow down or speed up so I could either go around behind or in front of them. Most of them noticed me and stopped. I decided to go into the lane of traffic (Thank God no cars were coming)

A few (3 females, 2 males, early to mid 20's) did not stop and told me to go eff myself, while they were laughing. They didn't even turn (North) to look at me (I guess they were trying to avoid the drizzle getting into their eyes...?)

As I went to pass inbetween both groups (had a space big enough to drive a city truck through), one of the females decide to swing her purse at me. It landed in the space between my arms, and I ended up yanking it out of her arms and spreading all the contents all over the street.

I stopped a few feet later (about 5-10 ft, and over to the curb), where her and her "friends" started cussing me out and the guys were saying that they weere going to kick my ass. I apologized to the girl, who "didn't f%#&ing give a $hit!" (and, Yes, I am quoting her, and I believe a few of her friends) and helped pick up some of her items.

When one of the guys (Caucasian male, 5'7"-5'10", 130-150 lbs, Blue straight legged jeans that sagged at the waist, a Houston Astros black and white ball cap, white with blue/black stripes high top gym shoes with the top strap undone,and a dark blue windbreaker style jacket) pushed me from my left side while I was down on one knee (helping pick up items).

He took a fighting stance (wannabe "gangbanger" style - hands down, leaning back and goading me on) right next to me and through a kick at me, while yelling, "Come on, MFer !"

I accidentally caught his foot with some extra material of my jacket sleeve as I stood up. His base foot (left) slid on the wet pavement, and he went down backwards. Hard. Sorry, I was just reacting to his kick and trying to get some space between he and I. I wish that I had done it on purpose, because then I would have used my hand to catch his foot and I would have controlled it enough to just keep him on his base leg. That way I could use him as a shield from his buddies. No, such luck.

As I asked him if he was all right, 3 of his friends rushed me and for some strange reason tried to tackle me to the ground. They started punching me in the back, chest and neck. One guy started punching me on the back of my legs (why?!? trying to break me down?). The girls (total of 7) started trying to hit me as well, using their hands and purses/bags. I got a couple of slaps to my face.

I had no choice put to defend myself. I grabbed two of the males by their...well...private parts.

That's when I noticed the flashing lights. UIC Police and a CPD SUV were pulling up. I let go when one of the Officers asked me to, and had broken up the "altercation". They asked me if I needed any medical attention. I told them no.

After all was done, there are 5 assault charges (arrests), and I will be notified if I need to go to court (which I will).

UIC PD & CPD were very professional. And didn't take sides. Just took down statements, including some from a few witnesses. They told me to be careful and let me go. I took a few more minutes to just let myself relax before getting back on my Beast and slowly riding home.

Maybe I should have used a whistle? Do you think that would have made the front group stop? I am just wondering if I should start using one of the whistles from my hiking packs? (Storm Whistle) I saw the link from Stuart's reply, and that got me thinking about using a whistle....

Any suggestions?

Respectfully,

Manny

P.S. Sorry about the long reply. I write a lot of reports at my work.

Manny, glad you are okay and I doubt making more noise would have helped unless it just startled them enough for you to get through and away without any contact.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service