The Chainlink

I thought this might be of interest to Chainlinkers. Streetsblog writer Lynda Lopez unpacks the phenomenon of the Lakefront Lance and what it might have to do with white, male entitlement. Grab some popcorn for the comments section...

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2019/04/09/class-race-and-sharing-space...

Views: 376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I responded on Facebook (Streetsblog) with this comment, "Wearing a kit is comfortable, especially on warmer days so there’s that. I like dressing in street clothes too so I don’t judge either way. Cyclists aren’t one type, they are many types. Getting to the off-putting behaviors is key - those that speed through with impatience, not being careful with a busy path, they are pretty terrible. So are the slow riding Divvy/rental riders that look anywhere but at the traffic around them, many times weaving around the lane and spacing out. Or those wearing earbuds in both ears cranking music and tuning out. All of these things are dangerous and awful to share a path with. I would carefully ride through the congestion, get south of McCormick and enjoy the more open parts of the path."

I'd also add the men in kits that frequent LFT don't seem to be attached to a team or training ride which makes me think they are usually just getting started, probably training for a tri without a training team. The reason I say this is because they wouldn't be on LFT, they'd be heading up to Highland Park and I think they'd be better about etiquette. I think the LFT speed riders are newbs. 

Some of them have really made me laugh with their jersey completely unzipped, flapping in the breeze as if they are climbing Alpe d'Huez, not riding a flat path along the lakefront with a cool breeze. *insert rolling eyes*

That said, I think the point I made earlier is that I'm not a huge fan of throwing ppl in a bucket with a label, I'd rather focus on the behavior that's problematic. I've ridden the LFT with a kit and carefully slowed down for every puppy, hand-holder, and child because that's how I ride (and with a bell). I go slowly until the traffic breaks up. Granted I haven't been on it since the separation was completed so I don't know how much that changed things so I'm commenting on old experiences and information. 

"That said, I think the point I made earlier is that I'm not a huge fan of throwing ppl in a bucket with a label, I'd rather focus on the behavior that's problematic. I've ridden the LFT with a kit and carefully slowed down for every puppy, hand-holder, and child because that's how I ride (and with a bell). I go slowly until the traffic breaks up. Granted I haven't been on it since the separation was completed so I don't know how much that changed things so I'm commenting on old experiences and information. "

Me gusta. In my older age now (45), I've come to realize that the above holds true, and that's how I ride it now. When I see those try to pass and there's heavy oncoming traffic, and can't judge the danger, I just get as close as I can to the center line. Not to exasperate them, but to make them realize that it isn't a race. 

I used to be that "asshole" when I moved to the city in 2015 and started riding the LFT frequently. Since last summer, I've learned that other people use the LFT because that's all they have. Even with the annoyance of earbuds on people who can't hear the "on your left..." let them learn. 

Ride intelligently and be mindful of others, and do ride defensively. It is not a race. Or not a race anymore. 

They'd be heading up to Highland Park making a nuisance of themselves on Sheridan Road.

I'm more worried about the speed of electric vehicles and all the weave zones on the north end of the trail this year.

Ride intelligently and be mindful of others, and do ride defensively. It is not a race. Or not a race anymore. 

Thank you. Well said.

The trail that runs paralell to the UP North Metra is wider and much less crowded for them to ride on.

I was signaling with my left hand to go onto the new wall at Fullerton and a cyclist was coming in the other lane and as I was moving to the left to allow others to pass on the right he gave me the WTF are you doing!? so I stuck my arm out more Left and he told me to get the F on! 

Thing is there were no cyclists behind him and I was waiting for him to pass then make my way over to enjoy the Lake front.

I know signaling and being considerate of others is seen as a weakness among the Alpha group. 

Oh well.

"Improved the situation" only from Oak to Barry and Ardmore to Foster the stretch between Foster to Belmont and the Tennis courts in the middle are worse than before. 

And the road cyclists are jumping off the trail going on the road from Belmont harbor then busting across lanes to re enter the LFT by the tennis courts  more than once I nearly go hit. 

Those are the dangerous riders in Chicago we're talking about.

That's always a pet peeve of mine especially since it requires ignoring a stop sign and turning into an oncoming lane because of the speed they're carrying.

And that's before mentioning any vehicle traffic.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service