The Chainlink

Bobby Cann Updates: Ryne San Hamel Pleads Guilty, Receives 10 Days in Jail

Jason Jenkins at ActiveTrans is helping to coordinate community response.  If there is any chance you can attend proceedings, please reach out to him: 

jason@activetrans.org.

Views: 43853

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What he said!

Tom Dworzanski said:

I don't "reasonably agree" his family and friends' feelings are more important than the cycling community as a whole (which I know you cleverly left out) or the future of urban cycling in this country. And in this regard I continue to feel Bobby Cann is being let down in the court of public opinion no matter how well (and I admit many people are working hard for him) he's being represented in the court of law. That's all I will say about this since I have been told to keep my mouth shut.

On an unrelated topic, If I ever get killed by a motorist while cycling, I would like the world to know that you may make me a poster-boy for any sort of pro-cyclist debate, anti-drunk driving campaign, or road safety push regardless of how you may perceive these things to affect my family and friends and no matter how strongly people want to express their opinions over what happened. You may post online, pass out flyers, hold up signs, block the Kennedy during rush hour, whatever you want. In fact, if it helps the cycling community, I don't care if that means the killer goes free. I would rather go down as an over-exaggerated topic of debate that impacts the world's opinion for the better than to be an unknown guy who sends an unknown killer away for 9 months and 9 more of probation.

Davis Moore said:

(And I think everyone would reasonably agree that their emotional, mental and spiritual needs are of greater priority in this situation than yours or mine or any other member of "the cycling community" personal curiosity and perceived need to be "in the know" about every single detail.)

How are musings about your untimely demise relevant to the court case? This type of rambling, irrelevant post shows exactly why we need to focus on courtroom updates and nothing else.

Chi Lowe, You're a mod, right? Can you delete all these off-topic entries, including this entry? I fail to see how any of them serve Bobby Cann's family and friends.

Thanks, Duppie

Tom Dworzanski said:

I don't "reasonably agree" his family and friends' feelings are more important than the cycling community as a whole (which I know you cleverly left out) or the future of urban cycling in this country. And in this regard I continue to feel Bobby Cann is being let down in the court of public opinion no matter how well (and I admit many people are working hard for him) he's being represented in the court of law. That's all I will say about this since I have been told to keep my mouth shut.

On an unrelated topic, If I ever get killed by a motorist while cycling, I would like the world to know that you may make me a poster-boy for any sort of pro-cyclist debate, anti-drunk driving campaign, or road safety push regardless of how you may perceive these things to affect my family and friends and no matter how strongly people want to express their opinions over what happened. You may post online, pass out flyers, hold up signs, block the Kennedy during rush hour, whatever you want. In fact, if it helps the cycling community, I don't care if that means the killer goes free. I would rather go down as an over-exaggerated topic of debate that impacts the world's opinion for the better than to be an unknown guy who sends an unknown killer away for 9 months and 9 more of probation.

Davis Moore said:

(And I think everyone would reasonably agree that their emotional, mental and spiritual needs are of greater priority in this situation than yours or mine or any other member of "the cycling community" personal curiosity and perceived need to be "in the know" about every single detail.)

I hope you know as much as you assume to know.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

I fail to see how any of them serve Bobby Cann's family and friends.

If and when we ever get real forum software, it should be possible for a mod to split the rants off from the rest of the thread into a separate thread. In the meantime... is it too much to ask for people to moderate themselves?

Duppie 13.5185km said:

How are musings about your untimely demise relevant to the court case? This type of rambling, irrelevant post shows exactly why we need to focus on courtroom updates and nothing else.

Chi Lowe, You're a mod, right? Can you delete all these off-topic entries, including this entry? I fail to see how any of them serve Bobby Cann's family and friends.

Thanks, Duppie

Tom Dworzanski said:

Davis Moore said:

I think you already know the answer to this...

h' 1.0 said:

is it too much to ask for people to moderate themselves?

A reminder to all: the next court date is TOMORROW.

"The State's Attorney has asked to revist the drivers bond so another bond hearing has been scheduled for next Monday, the 23rd, 10:00 a.m. Room 301 at 26th and California."

Hopefully, they'll take away his bond, put him in jail, and make the streets just a little more safer for other bicyclists. 

Tom Dworzanski said:"I don't "reasonably agree" his family and friends' feelings are more important than the cycling community as a whole (which I know you cleverly left out) or the future of urban cycling in this country."

You are right, Tom.  There are many in this discussion who don’t seem to understand the law and the difference between a civil and criminal court.

A civil case is between to individuals, one who cause harm and the other who was harmed.  The injured is seeking redress and resolution.  The individual causing the harm may lose money or be required to provide recompense in some other way, but cannot lose their freedom or be incarcerated in a jail or prison.

This is a criminal case, and the injured is all of society – not only we cyclists but everyone else.  The effect on the family of Bobby Cann has no effect on the outcome of the adjudication of this criminal case.  We offer our sympathy to the family, of course – but they are not part of this criminal trial. The trial is between Ryne Sanhamel and the rest of us.

I don’t understand the “Code of Silence” that many seem to be supporting, even asking for some comments to be deleted.

We’ve had many recent criminal cases here in Illinois: two former governors, alderman, federal representative – and many news reports, discussion on television and radio, editorials, and enough printed material that used several trees.  Nobody claimed we should be silent and not discuss this.

We’ve had the recent criminal trial in Florida:  the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman that took place on the night of February 26, 2012.  Nobody clamored to silence discussion on this criminal trial.

The classic example of the difference between a civil and criminal trial is the case of O.J. Simpson.  He “won” in the criminal trial and was not deprived of his freedom.  He “lost” in the civil trial and it cost him considerably.  A criminal trial requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  A civil trial requires only the preponderance of the evidence.  The family of Bobby Cann is free, and should be encouraged to seek relief in a civil court.

Those of us who were injured by the action of Ryne Sanhamel should continue the discussion – to make sure that all of society and especially the bicycling community stays aware of it.  All too often it falls out of the public consciousness.  I'd like to see Ryne Sanhamel lose - and lose big - in both the criminal as well as any civil court that may ensue.

Had I volunteered to serve as a Court Advocate, and found out the passing along information and encouraging discussion, I would have walked out and separated myself from being a part of this.  I respect the opinion of those who think the issue should not be discussed; I respectfully disagree.

By all means, let’s keep the discussion alive.  Anyone who wants to start a petition is free to do so.  That’s what free speech is all about.  Anyone who is available to attend any of the trials in the future (there will probably be many) is encouraged to do so and report back to the public what they saw, and to share any insight they may have.  

The Court of Public Opinion is important.

Today's hearing took place at 10:00 a.m. Thank you again to all of you who were able to attend.

At the request of the Assistant State's Attorney prosecuting the case, new conditions were were set today by the judge for the defendants bond. His driving privileges have been suspended and he will be required to submit to routine alcohol and drug screens while on bond. A violation of these conditions carries serious penalties, including the potential revocation of his bond and possibly jail.

The next hearing will be Monday, October 7th, Rm. 301 at 26th and California. Time TBD but probably 10:00 a.m.

Jason Jenkins

Crash Support Programs Manager
Active Trans

BRAVO! Thanks, Jason.

Active Transportation Alliance said:

Today's hearing took place at 10:00 a.m. Thank you again to all of you who were able to attend.

At the request of the Assistant State's Attorney prosecuting the case, new conditions were were set today by the judge for the defendants bond. His driving privileges have been suspended and he will be required to submit to routine alcohol and drug screens while on bond. A violation of these conditions carries serious penalties, including the potential revocation of his bond and possibly jail.

The next hearing will be Monday, October 7th, Rm. 301 at 26th and California. Time TBD but probably 10:00 a.m.

Jason Jenkins

Active Trans

+1

Very glad these conditions were put in place. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

BRAVO! Thanks, Jason.

Jason Jenkins

Active Trans

+2-- thanks to all helping on Bobby's behalf!

Cheryl said:

+1

Very glad these conditions were put in place. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

BRAVO! Thanks, Jason.

Jason Jenkins

Active Trans

Does anyone remember the name of the judge who presided at the arraignment?

Has the same judge been presiding at the hearings since the arraignment, and who was that judge?

Thanks.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service