The Chainlink

Bike Thief PHOTO: stealing Red Specialized @ 165 N Canal 9/23

Forwarded from a friend. She wasn't able to do enough to stop him, but did get a photo of a man stealing a bike across from 165 N Canal.

Apparently, he took the tire off the bike that was locked via ulock to a pole, put a new one on and rode away.

Stray Observations:

  1. Pass this on to people you know who had a bike (or tire) stolen yesterday. Perhaps it will bring them joy, anger, closure or all of the above.
  2. PLEASE LOCK YOUR BIKE BETTER. Holy crap people. Resource: http://www.activetrans.org/commute/tricks-tips/parking
  3. He obviously stole a front tire from another bike and then helped himself which totally settles the "what the hell do these people do with one tire"question I've always had.
  4. Memorize this face and if you see him walking around with a bike part, call the police and start yelling at him so people will start looking. (Insert warning about being REALLY SURE THIS IS THE SAME PERSON - the missing front teeth and glasses are helpful.)
  5. Please don't do the chainlink troll thing and yell about my friend not chaining herself to the bike and pulling a batman on this crook. You weren't there, you don't know my friend and until you earn some sincere bike thief vigilante street cred - shut up.

Sorry if # 4 was ugly or presumptuous. I'm just tired of the non constructive discussions and honestly don't have time for it.

BOO BIKE THIEVES!

Views: 5009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All good notes. Can't wait for someone to ignore them. Glad ur friend got a pic. I'll be reposting that on facebook.

One day dude will come across another dude his size or bigger and get the rest of those ugly teeth knocked out.

This is why they don't want concealed carry in Chicago.  In Wisconsin, you could legally put a bullet in him.

Because that is a totally rational response to bike theft...

Mark said:

This is why they don't want concealed carry in Chicago.  In Wisconsin, you could legally put a bullet in him.

Pulling a gun on a thief is a perfectly rational response, especially in this situation. It immediately levels the playing field and saves the property. And if a person is brazen enough to continue stealing a bike with a gun pointed at him, a couple bullets in the leg until the cops show up are perfectly appropriate. (If he comes at the gun-holder, a couple in the head are just as appropriate.) We need to stop acting like sitting around and complaining is going to ever make things better. People in this city steal and kill each other at chart-topping rates and it's precisely due to our chart-topping restrictions on fire-arms.

 

I know some people think they have to be on a certain side of this issue because they don't want to go against all the other issues their favorite political party stands for. That's simply an incorrect assumption and whatever efforts are being made by said political party to hurt an industry that is generally very supportive of the other political party should not get in the way of regular people protecting themselves and their property. Coward millionaire and billionaire politicians standing behind 10 taxpayer-funded, fully armed bodyguards don't understand the plight of average citizens to protect themselves and their things.

 

I for one can't wait for concealed carry and for more allies of the law to be around when bad things happen in our gun-restricted, crime-ridden city.

 

Also, here's a video. Enjoy.

 

 

Yay we can now turn chicago into the wild Wild West with bikes for horses....

You seriously think that shooting somebody, with a gun, is a viable response to minor property theft?

Seriously?

I like guns but people who think like you are exactly why I am against any kind of concealed carry laws.  I dislike the crime and violence in the city but I have no desire to see it turned into the wild west.  Think about what the city would be like with a bunch of people who think like you running around pulling a gun all the time?

Let me ask you some questions:

Do you have much experience or training handling a handgun?  Not a riffle or other long gun but an actual handgun.

Do you have a concept of just how much damage a gunshot does to a person?


Tom Dworzanski said:

Pulling a gun on a thief is a perfectly rational response, especially in this situation. It immediately levels the playing field and saves the property. And if a person is brazen enough to continue stealing a bike with a gun pointed at him, a couple bullets in the leg until the cops show up are perfectly appropriate. (If he comes at the gun-holder, a couple in the head are just as appropriate.) We need to stop acting like sitting around and complaining is going to ever make things better. People in this city steal and kill each other at chart-topping rates and it's precisely due to our chart-topping restrictions on fire-arms.

 

I know some people think they have to be on a certain side of this issue because they don't want to go against all the other issues their favorite political party stands for. That's simply an incorrect assumption and whatever efforts are being made by said political party to hurt an industry that is generally very supportive of the other political party should not get in the way of regular people protecting themselves and their property. Coward millionaire and billionaire politicians standing behind 10 taxpayer-funded, fully armed bodyguards don't understand the plight of average citizens to protect themselves and their things.

 

I for one can't wait for concealed carry and for more allies of the law to be around when bad things happen in our gun-restricted, crime-ridden city.

 

Also, here's a video. Enjoy.

 

 

People in this city steal and kill each other at chart-topping rates and it's precisely due to our chart-topping restrictions on fire-arms.

We'd still have these problems with conceal and carry. I seriously doubt that the fellows who shot up that park would have thought twice if they thought others would have guns in that situation. In fact, I'd bet they were counting on it.

Tom Dworzanski said:

People in this city steal and kill each other at chart-topping rates and it's precisely due to our chart-topping restrictions on fire-arms.

I would appreciate some proof of this assertion.

My feeling is that the people killing and being killed have guns already, so the presence of a gun in the hand of the guy who gets killed doesn't appear to be a huge deterrent to the guy doing the shooting. (And it seems they are all guys.)

Folks...all that is needed here is some Pepper Spray or CS Spray for any bike thief.

Criminals can sue after the fact and shooting them is not a great idea.  However, spraying them with pepper spray is a much better approach then responding with a gun...IJS

Because of bike thieves, I always lock my bikes with 2 different bike locks.

Respectfully disagree.

Davo said:

I seriously doubt that the fellows who shot up that park would have thought twice if they thought others would have guns in that situation.

Only on the Chainlink does a friendly warning about proper bike locking and a bike theft turn into a debate about gun control.

Sad thing is we could probably make more progress than Congress.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service