http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/193546

Theft in action:

Craigslist ad:

Seller info as per victim:

Name: Kirk Gxxxxxx
Phone:             773-621-5936      
Address: xxxxxxxx, Chicago, IL
Description: white male, approx 6'0'', approx 40 YO, pony tail
(edit-- info removed-- contact me if you need it.)
My guess is that the seller hits our favorite cesspool at 41st/Ashland early and often and keeps the thieves/fences in business.
Seller gets his money, victim ends up paying buyer, no legal consequences to anyone.
Stinks to high heaven.

Views: 1983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't make fun of someone for watching their bike get stolen.  Some people freeze, some are anti-confrontational.

let's just say if you have never been in the situation, you may react differently the first time around.  I may react differently today than I would have a few years ago now that I've been in some situations that taught me a few things.  

I agree, some people may be wondering if the guy has a gun, knife, or friends waiting for him nearby. 

Many of us would scream, yell, make a scene, but don't put down those who won't or can't think clearly in that sort of situation. 

It looks like me and that NYC person are in the same boat.  I thought I understood the story, but the 'theft in action' picture threw everything off for me.  Thanks for your helpful clarification, though.  

I guess you're just such a bike theft crime fighting super savant that you can't understand how someone else might be confused about how this operation works?

;)

h' said:

The whole story is here at your fingertips, but if you'd rather just stare at the image and not read any of the text or follow the link I could see how that might be entertaining for you.

Too lazy to click a link and expecting everyone else to do all the work for you?
I don't know if we know enough about "that NYC person" to fairly make such a statement.

Zoetrope said:

It looks like me and that NYC person are in the same boat. 

Howard probably does more than any two people on this sight when it comes to helping recover bikes and stop theft; maybe remember that fact before you make fun of how much effort he puts into helping other people get bikes back...

Zoetrope said:

I guess you're just such a bike theft crime fighting super savant that you can't understand how someone else might be confused about how this operation works?

h' said:

The whole story is here at your fingertips, but if you'd rather just stare at the image and not read any of the text or follow the link I could see how that might be entertaining for you.

Moment of naivety for me to not think of swapping out parts.

h' said:

Read the recovery description.

NYC said:

Not saying that this Kirk dude isn't knowingly flipping stolen bikes; but take a look at the pics of the Masi in the stolen registry, and compare to the CL pics. They don't seem to me to be the same bike.

Actually I don't know if parts were swapped or maybe the only picture the victim had was from before the bike was accessorized.  Or for all we know there was an interim owner who then also had it stolen.
In any event, it came down to serial number match as noted.

NYC said:

Moment of naivety for me to not think of swapping out parts.

h' said:

Read the recovery description.

NYC said:

Not saying that this Kirk dude isn't knowingly flipping stolen bikes; but take a look at the pics of the Masi in the stolen registry, and compare to the CL pics. They don't seem to me to be the same bike.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service