The Chainlink

Add your favorite bicycle movie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bicycle Movies (link to article)

Bicycles will overrun the Champs-Élysées this weekend in Paris as the world’s most prestigious and grueling road race concludes its three week journey across France on Sunday.

For many Americans, the Tour De France is as foreign a subject as Francois Truffaut but the two share something in common. Both bike races and bike movies are perfect to enjoy without moving a muscle.

You may notice that the majority of films on this week’s list were released in the early '80s.  Thankfully, our culture’s apathy in cycling recently came to an end, simply because of a little yellow bracelet.

Lance Armstrong’s seven consecutive Tour de France titles (1999-2005) launched an American renaissance in the sport.  I’d say Hollywood is due to produce a new wave of cycling films of the same caliber, if not better than the following. Whether you’re a fan of bike riding or not, tell us what you think.

1. "Breaking Away" (1979): “They’re gonna keep callin’ us ‘cutters’” – Mike

2. "American Flyers" (1985): “Enough of this Sunday stroll…let’s hurt a little bit!” – Muzzin

3. "Pee Wee’s Big Adventure" (1985): “I’m a loner, Dottie.  A rebel.” – Pee Wee Herman (this love story about a man and his bike could have also been called “The Bicycle Thief”...not really.)

4. "Quicksilver" (1986): “I go as fast as I like” – Jack Casey (checkout the trailer dubbed by the late Don Lafontaine...”In a world where the pressure’s off”...classic 80’s movie trailer.)

5. "E.T." (1982): Makes the list because the film’s climax allows every kid to imagine their bikes soaring off the ground.  These iconic images still play before Amblin Entertainment’s films.

Honorable Mention:

• "BMX Bandits" (1986): This Aussie import revolves around a criminal ring of Walkie Talkie smugglers.
  • "Easy Rider" (1969): “You know Billy, we blew it.” – Captain America (They may not be riding bicycles but it’s the best movie on two wheels, so it makes the cut.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My addition will be the movie 2 Seconds

Views: 1186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bicycle Dreams. A doc. about The Race Across America. Makes a century ride look like a walk in the park.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I would add:

Wire to Win, Jour de Fete and The Ride. For reviews of these and about 30 other great bike movies see:

http://wheretobikeguides.com/books/chicago/movies

LOVED this film. Like Socrates some things never change

Josh said:

The Bicycle Thief?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jnzXX9mXs

"You must plant your seeds in another field. Do you understand what I mean?"

For something more recent, the Belgian film Kid with a Bike, which won the Grand Prix at Cannes last year, is still playing at the Music Box and up in Evanston.   It's a film about an abandoned kid with, well, a bike, and how important the bike is to him and the joy he has in riding it is an important part of the film.    Not only is it a great film, but if you're like me, it will make you remember how much your bike meant to you when you were 12.

Was just thinking of a movie I remember going to see at a drive-in as a young teen.

Americathon!

Great movie for the drive-in -People were ironic back in the 70's before "hipster" was invented.

Ride The Divide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhrtPyr1KQI

A documentary about a mountain bike race from Banff, Canada to the Mexico border via the Continental Divide. This is how  "Bicycle Dreams" should've been shot.

Short and fun, even if they do not wear helmets: True Fans (1999) In this whimsical documentary, Utah filmmaker Dan Austin details the basketball pilgrimage he, his brother and best friend started when they hopped aboard their bicycles and headed east from a pickup court in Venice Beach, Calif., toward the NBA Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. Shooting hoops on makeshift courts across the country, the trio meets countless "heroes," everyday folks whose generosity renews their faith in the goodness of humanity.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service