The Chainlink

First thread, here goes:

I'm Stephen, 27 and lover of road bikes and trips for only 3-4 years.  The irony is I moved to Chicago 3ish years ago..

Commuting by bike in Chicago is many things: exciting, efficient, and encouraging.  Biking wakes you up, saves you money, and propels you to tomorrow.

Then there's long-distance.  Not racing nor training, but biking as travel.  I've biked to Southwest Michigan and Southeast Wisconsin - both trips similar in distance and difficulty.

Anyone have a good 2 day/1 night group trip model they recommend?

Be easy,

Stephen

Northside, Chicago

Smaiseloff@gmail.com

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Take Metra to Joliet and bike the I&M Canal trail to Starved Rock and back. I think it's around 60 miles one way.
I cannot say this if this one is the best...but it is a great one :

le Tour de Shore.
great scenery; two cookouts with beer, Friday off from work;
and it's a great fund raiser for a (disadvantaged) children's art and music program

I did it last year and will do it again this year.
It's June 18-19 if I remember correctly.

http://www.letourdeshore.com/

registration opens Feb 7 (super Bown Sunday)

DB
The I&M canal trail is a good ride, but for some reason I like Kenosha to Genoa more:
DPR Trail - IPP - Fox River Trail - Great Western Trail - north on 23 - west on 72 - camp for the night and turn around

Huzzah to big small adventures! :D
Stephen,
Are you looking for an organized/ supported ride, or looking to organize something yourself?
Are you thinking loaded touring or so-called "credit card touring."?
If you're thinking loaded touring, 60 miles is probably a reasonable max for one day. Some destinations within that range: Dunes state park in Indiana, Illinois Beach National Park in Zion . . .
Also look out for TC's Starved Rock ride in September:
http://starvedrockride.org/
Although it appears to be a 3-day event I think there's an easy 2-day option.
another one is GITAP - Jen from here (Y A J) is considering it...along with a few others.

a great source for rides of all distances is here :

http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/mwrides.htm

enjoy

DB
Oh... Chicago to Milwaukee and back :-)
Ya I'm looking to organize myself. That's been the routine with my group and just the overall attitude. Down the road, I'd like to design a ride and follow all steps towards stamping it as a feel-good ride with donations an a mission etc.

Thanks!

H3N3 said:
Stephen,
Are you looking for an organized/ supported ride, or looking to organize something yourself?
If you're thinking loaded touring, 60 miles is probably a reasonable max for one day. Some destinations within that range: Dunes state park in Indiana, Illinois Beach National Park in Zion . . .
I & M Canal Trail is "groomed trail". Does this mean it would be road bike friendly?

mindfrieze said:
Take Metra to Joliet and bike the I&M Canal trail to Starved Rock and back. I think it's around 60 miles one way.
Probably means crushed limestone. Can do on a road bike if you don't mind getting your frame chipped up.

Liz W. Durham said:
I & M Canal Trail is "groomed trail". Does this mean it would be road bike friendly?

mindfrieze said:
OK, some good suggestions here.
Generally any route that tales you due north out of the city is more pleasant in terms of traffic, road quality, and scenery than other directions.
It's a bit more of a haul but I think Lake Geneva/ Williams Bay is a nice target in addition to others mentioned here.
Distance still depends greatly on whether loaded, or sending gear in a motor vehicle.

Stephen Maiseloff said:
Ya I'm looking to organize myself. That's been the routine with my group and just the overall attitude. Down the road, I'd like to design a ride and follow all steps towards stamping it as a feel-good ride with donations an a mission etc.

Thanks!

H3N3 said:
Stephen,
H3N3 said:
Probably means crushed limestone. Can do on a road bike if you don't mind getting your frame chipped up.
Liz W. Durham said:

mindfrieze said:

It is crushed limestone. Last time I rode it (only from Channahon to Starved Rock and back) I took my early 80's Trek 500. That bike does not have fenders and the paint on the frame did not suffer from it.
Do you have directions from the Joliet train station to the trailhead? Thanks.

mindfrieze said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service