The Chainlink

From the NWS

A POWERFUL WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE REGION THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT BRINGING WET SNOW AND VERY STRONG WINDS. RAIN WILL CHANGE TO WET SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST LATE THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING...WITH SNOW CONTINUING INTO THURSDAY EVENING. SNOW COULD FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES WITH ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF INTERSTATE 80. IN ADDITION...VERY STRONG WINDS WILL LIKELY GUST TO OVER 50 MPH AT TIMES VERY LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO THURSDAY EVENING.

Most concerning is the 50 MPH winds blowing snow everywhere and reducing visibility.

Views: 2227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i wouldn't miss it 

my bad weather plan involves taking a bus in the Loop.  i always manage to see a few messengers while waiting for the bus and think: damn that could be me!  as someone mentioned the wind forecasts are "overblown".  i don't want to deal with rain/snow lush, so no thanks!

Yup. I have some fellow winter warriors who ride and park at the Central Street stop in Evanston. Interested to see how many bikes are locked up in the morning.

Hope to see lots of Chainlinkers at Cal's tomorrow.
Not unless I have to. I had my share of winter riding when I was a kid and had a paper route for two years. The huge basket full of papers didn't help in the snow. Wind, sleet, rain, snow, sub zero temps. Nothing stops the paper boy. I rode the sidewalk because tossing a paper on the pourch is too far from the street for a ten year old. I was foolish enough to do this for $17.50 per month.

There's a clear window around downtown for at least and hour or so.  If you're going to go now's the time to do it!

the wind was absolutely HOWLING out of the SE out on the lakefront this morning. I'm a reverse commuter from downtown up to evanston, so i barely had to pedal. i saw only 3 other cyclist out on the LFP this morning, all southbound. brave, brave souls battling that wind. one of 'em looked like he was struggling to maintain 5 mph. the lake was wild. a huge wave nearly clobbered me along that short stretch of the LFP just south of fullerton where waves spalsh up against the seawall.

the wind is forecast to spin around to NW by the afternoon. woo-hoo! screaming tailwind both ways for me today! sometimes you win.

i got the studs slapped on last night, so i'm ready for the ice and snow. bring it on!

That is a funny map!  Rode in--will I ride home?  Will wait to see.

I'm riding my short commute but who knows how I'll get around tonight, if this thing is really happening...

Just rode into work about 20min ago, from Grand and Oakley to River North, not bad at all. We'll see what tonight brings. But come on damnit, we're Chicagoans, we should be able to handle a little fucking snow without freaking out. 

I honestly thought that the weather forecast was overblown, but my fiance insisted that I not ride...

I definitely plan to ride tomorrow.

Same experience for me, Hyde Park to Loop (except for the near miss with the wave clobbering).  Also looking forward to tonight.  I love those rare days when the wind is with you both ways.  Plus snow?  Good times.

Dan Allison said:

the wind was absolutely HOWLING out of the SE out on the lakefront this morning. I'm a reverse commuter from downtown up to evanston, so i barely had to pedal. i saw only 3 other cyclist out on the LFP this morning, all southbound. brave, brave souls battling that wind. one of 'em looked like he was struggling to maintain 5 mph. the lake was wild. a huge wave nearly clobbered me along that short stretch of the LFP just south of fullerton where waves spalsh up against the seawall.

the wind is forecast to spin around to NW by the afternoon. woo-hoo! screaming tailwind both ways for me today! sometimes you win.

i got the studs slapped on last night, so i'm ready for the ice and snow. bring it on!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service