The Chainlink

I'm kind of a blank slate in this regard . . .

I went to the eye doctor for the first time ever yesterday for an exam . . . I thought the exam was great but then everything was crazy-rushed and I didn't have time to explore the options.

Anyways, I'm the only one in my family who never had glasses, but it seems I'm having normal age-related changes.  I'm getting more far-sighted . . . having the most trouble reading small print especially in low light . . .

The doc said I could get by with standard reading glasses for the small print situations, and said I have a very slight prescription for far.

So I can get one pair of glasses covered mostly by insurance. They can be bifocals (near/nml, near/far, far/nml) or regular . . . things like trifocals or progressives come with a significant upcharge.

How do you folks who wear glasses while riding handle it? Do you just wear your regular everyday glasses? Have you got prescription riding glasses of some sort?

I'm probably not even asking the right questions so any clarifying questions appreciated.

Views: 579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been wearing glasses since age 11. Two years ago I asked my optician for a large pair of sports glasses for bicycling. Normally I wear a smaller pair, but got tired of smoke and crud flying in my eyes, especially in the rain. For the winter this year, I might pick up a pair of skiing goggles to use while cycling.
I'd recommend getting a pair of prescription sunglasses along with your general pair. I generally wear mine on rides.
Regular everyday prescription glasses. Clear for night and clouds. Sunglasses for sunny days.

I wear normal prescription glasses every day.  As soon as I have some extra cash I'm going to buy some nice prescription sunglasses.  Otherwise, I've never had an issue bicycling with them, even with a helmet. 

In my opinion, glasses are one thing worth spending money on to get a pair that looks good, feels comfortable, and serve their purpose well.  You'll end up wearing them every day, and they help you see.  Saving $50 for a mediocre solution just isn't worth it unless you are really broke.  Don't feel bad about trying on every pair at the store, a lot of people do it.  Ask questions about anything you don't know, and don't be shy about asking what the final price is going to be.  It is worth getting something that is right, but they are still freaking expensive. 

I have always just worn my normal prescription glasses.  I wear progressives now, and they are fine for biking.
I have been wearing glasses since age 11. Two years ago I asked my optician for a large pair of sports glasses for bicycling. Normally I wear a smaller pair, but got tired of smoke and crud flying in my eyes, especially in the rain. For the winter this year, I might pick up a pair of skiing goggles to use while cycling.

Sounds like a possibility.  How do I go about that? Will the eye doc carry those (prescription sunglasses) or do I track them down myself and have the doc do the lenses?

Moc Artsy said:
I'd recommend getting a pair of prescription sunglasses along with your general pair. I generally wear mine on rides.
So on sunny days you just don't wear prescription glasses?

Kevin C said:
Regular everyday prescription glasses. Clear for night and clouds. Sunglasses for sunny days.

Thanks.

I tend to ride more at night than any other time . . . I heard from a wise friend that yellow is fine at night-- is that your experience too?

kiltedcelt said:

I've been wearing glasses for about 30+ years. I wear my regular glasses all the time. However, the wind makes my eyes water a lot so I've been looking at getting some cycling specific glasses. You can go a couple different ways. Just wear regular glasses, and you can get clip-on sunglasses for most frames that don't look dorky. Or, you can get some cycling-specific sunglasses that have interchangeable lenses and a prescription insert. The cycling-specific sunglasses with RX insert give you the advantages of being able to see along with the advantages of the wrap-around shades. Most pairs have a dark tinted lens, a high contrast lens (typically yellow or amber), and a clear lens for nighttime or low light conditions.

Sorry if I wasn't clear-- I was not considering bifocals for riding.

I pretty much never ride without eye protection, though.

M.A.R.K. said:

I would suggest riding with just regular glasses, none of the bi-focal stuff.. The bifocal have the second optical power on the bottom of the lens. Since you are biking, and constantly looking around, you will constantly be going through the two different powers. I would suggest those for more at home use, when reading and stuff. 

I have never used cycling specific glasses, and do not know how they would work with goggles in the winter, but I am sure they are fantastic in the fall to keep the breeze out of your eyes and the tears to stop flowing.

Thanks.  Not really looking for dark or darkening lenses. I wouldn't say sunlight is much of a problem for me ever.

How would lenscrafters know what my prescription should be? Does the eye doc just give that out on request?

Looking here:
http://www.framesdirect.com/Oakley-Prescription-sunglasses-prescsgc...

It looks like prescription sunglasses start at $300 or so-- is that representative?

You just get your prescription from the eye doc and go to the optical shop of your choice.  Pick a frame for the sunglasses, then say it's for sunglasses.  They'll show you a whole bunch of different tints, and you pick which tint the lenses will be. 

Or you can do it online, but then you don't get to try on the frame for comfort and fit before spending $$, unless you go to a shop that carries what you're looking for and try it there first.

h' said:

Sounds like a possibility.  How do I go about that? Will the eye doc carry those (prescription sunglasses) or do I track them down myself and have the doc do the lenses?

Moc Artsy said:

I had Transitions lenses on a previous pair of glasses.  They're a mixed bag, but mostly good.  There's a little bit of a break-in period when they're new.  They don't change quite as quickly during the break-in period.  (To speed up break-in period, put them on a sunny windowsill for a while when you're indoors if you won't get outside much during the weekday.)  Once they're broken in, they adjust fairly quickly.

Pros:  Having regular glasses and sunglasses without having to change glasses.  Lenses adjust in changing light conditions, so if you go under a long viaduct while riding, the lenses will lighten.  You only have to keep track of one pair of glasses.  You don't have to carry regular glasses if you're going out to ride in bright sunlight and know you'll be out after dark.

Cons: They don't get quite as dark as the darkest shades you get get in a regular lens.  Slightly more expensive than regular lenses.  If you're in a car on a sunny day and your face is not in the sun, the lenses won't get as dark as your eyes might like.

M.A.R.K. said:

You can get prescription sunglasses wherever you go, the eye doctor, lens crafters, etc.. Tranition lenses are a newer thing where they are like regular glasses, but change when UV light hits them and darken. They are called photochromic lenses.

With any glasses really.. You can bring in frames, and have the doctor make lenses for them, if you do not like their selection.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=photochromic+lenses

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service