The Chainlink

Any idea when/where this vintage bike race photo was taken?

Anyone know or have a guess when/where this picture was taken? I found the poster in a computer surplus closet at UIC and it now adorns my living room. Only clue is that someone wrote "80" on the back. It's pretty epic! 

stupid computer glare going on in this one: 

Views: 2955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ding!ding!ding! we have a winner! ;)

mindfrieze said:

I wouldn't know the year, but that you found it at UIC, I think, is a big clue to it's location.  This looks very much like the corner of Taylor and Halsted, looking northeast.  The skyline has changed a little, but the parking garage is a ringer.

Also, the pale blue police barricades are telltale Chicago. 

Sorry Not me- I am am a bit younger than the folks in the pic.

mike w. said:

Hey, is that you in a Windy City Wheelmen's jersey? If so, we were team mates once. i rode the Boul Mich in '78... i was terrible... out the back in two.

rb said:

But it's an old picture.  I looked like a junior in old pictures too.

mike w. said:

Looking closer, those do look like Juniors (15-17yrs.)

There is agreement this photo is 30+ years old.

A close look at the building in the upper right of the photo indicates it is Chase Tower (then called First National Bank of Chicago, completed in 1969, 60 stories).  By the position of this building, the vantage point is likely on Adams , probably west of the Chicago River, looking northeast.  Willis Tower (Sears Tower, completed 1973) would be to the right, out of the picture.  There has been quite a bit of construction since the photo was taken.

Many parking structures in Chicago are ‘place markers’ for future development.  The design of the one in the picture background was quite common in the 70’s and 80’s.

mindfrieze said:

I wouldn't know the year, but that you found it at UIC, I think, is a big clue to it's location.  This looks very much like the corner of Taylor and Halsted, looking northeast.  The skyline has changed a little, but the parking garage is a ringer.

I used to have a bike with toe clips, wore one of those "helmets," but didn't do the tube socks -- make it 1980, Chicago, Tour de Garage.

This is in Chicago, 2nd guy from the right (red jersey, black helmet) is like a young Palizzo, there were 3 Palizzo brothers, guessing late 70's....per Mike Farrell

+1, that sure is the corner, some of the buildings in the background are still there if you look close enough.  I found a bunch of stuff on the net about the Boul Mich from the mid 70's to the mid-80's, which used to take place downtown on and near Michigan Avenue.  I'd guess that since the pic has "80" on it, it's probably the Boul Mich race from 1980 at the intersection mindfrieze found.  Just my 2 cents though.

Duppie said:

ding!ding!ding! we have a winner! ;)

mindfrieze said:

I'd also guess 79-82. If it says "80" on the back, that's be a good guess. I'm basing it on the one white hardshell helmet in the pict. This pre-dates the "Bell v1-pro" which was a black helmet that was "state of the art" in 84-84 when I did my first race and had to buy a helmet to get in. If this were 83 or later, I know you'd see AT LEAST one of those in the mix. Also, the leather hairnet ones I think were not allowed from around 85 on... would have to dig into cycling regs for sure on that one though... cool pict.

1. the rider with the Bell Biker helmet looks like John Howard.  2. the route couldn't have been on N. Lincoln Memorial Dr. at that time because the O'Donnell Park parking garage was built much later.

Riders going south on Halsted, turning right onto Taylor,  Photographer looking

ENE from 810 W Taylor, Chicago, IL  closest I could come on Google street view is
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=810+West+Taylor+Street,+Chicago,+IL&a...

Someone mentioned juniors 15-17 farther back and it got me thinking.  After considering the location and date on the back, keeping in mind that the road season is generally in the spring, it's probably a UIC collegiate race from the 1979-1980 school year.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/results.html?st=advanced...

Can't open the links to the articles, but this is the list of Chicago Tribune 1980 bicycle race articles.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service