The Chainlink

I ask myself all the time why I continue to ride in this city. Everyone is so angry and only worried about themselves. It’s all about me before you. Why do we continue to ride when there is so much hatred/anger/obviluousness to human life as cyclists and pedestrians? 

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said. 

The only quibble i have is your last sentence regarding "other" immigrants- there's far too much negative stereotyping of immigrants. Maybe you should've added /s ?

And yes, jerk drivers are anywhere and everywhere.

Since we’re putting labels on people, I could have meant, “the other people.”

Doesn’t matter if immigrants or not. People are people, and if they drive with the rules, fine. It they’re bullies behind the wheel, I wish perpetual diarreah on them. 

Fair enough. Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’m sorry that’s what you’ve seen growing up in the Chicago area.

As the daughter of an immigrant, I think it’s tricky to make negative generalized statements about immigrants. I grew up hearing some pretty awful stuff about what is half of my culture. And then I’d go on a family trip to Pakistan and experience so much love and have great conversations with my family.

Statistically, crime is lower with immigrant populations in our country. I grew up in a strict home so this doesn’t surprise me.

As the son & grandson of immigrants, the current xenophobia gets under my skin. People are just people. There are good and bad people in any population. Labeling isn't helpful no matter how easy it is to do.

Trust me there are angry people in the country to as I live across the border in Wisconsin and have been coming south to ride gravel the past four years.

I have also been hitting the wonderful network of trails in the Chicago area and I can just say as an opinion that it can be simply excellent cycling.

Why does one ride? An absolute must question as I ride because I love to ride.

Just an opinion

Nine

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service