The Chainlink

Today Grid Chicago talks with David Schmidt from Dutch Bike Co., which abruptly closed its Chicago store shortly after relocating the shop from Lincoln Park to Wicker Park. In happier news, Michael Salvatore is getting ready to open Heritage Bicycles in Lakeview, offering bikes that are hand built in Humboldt Park, as well as an in-house cafe - a first for Chicago:

http://gridchicago.com/2011/a-dutch-bicycle-store-dies-a-bike-shop-...

Keep moving forward,

John Greenfield

Views: 1181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That Heritage Daisy looks like a really good deal. The dutch bike shop and copenhagen cyclery are cool, but they price themselves out of what I'd seriously consider patronizing. This on the other hand is a pretty sweet price point for something locally manufactured to boot. Any word on what the frame's made of?
I'm going to guess it's hi-ten.
Glad to hear the news about the new bike shop/cafe.  I hope it's a great success.
Um, am I alone here in seriously questioning the design of that bicycle?  Why is it so tiny?  The seat tube ends below the tires!
This is a model for petite women, the only Heritage (Chicago-made) style and size they're producing at the moment. They plan on offering a large size of the Daisy in the near future, and eventually offering Diamond-frame models and cargo bikes. In the mean time, they'll be selling NYC-made Bowery Lane bikes in diamond-frame and step-through styles, in various sizes.

More mammals on bikes makes it better for us all.

notoriousDUG said:

Um, am I alone here in seriously questioning the design of that bicycle?  Why is it so tiny?  The seat tube ends below the tires!
Yeah, for that price it's almost certain.

Kelvin Mulcky said:
I'm going to guess it's hi-ten.

I'm thinking it's gorgeous - too bad I'm about 6'!  Petite cyclists of Chicago rejoice!

this 5'1 girl is drooling right now :)

I'm 4 foot 10 inches, just sayin :))

Product review?

Erin - I hear you.  On the other hand, those of us with a bit of extra leverage tend to have an easier time finding a frame that fits compared to someone like Julie.

Erin Rensink said:

I'm thinking it's gorgeous - too bad I'm about 6'!  Petite cyclists of Chicago rejoice!

In a first version of a reply to that question on another thread, the owner said it was A500 steel, which is structural carbon steel, the same as the steel in Chicago's hoop bike racks. I guess this must be a high tensile steel though I can't tell from Wikipedia. I bet it's comparable to lots of bike frames out there. Does anyone know more about this stuff?
Peenworm Grubologist said:
Any word on what the frame's made of?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service