The Chainlink

I'm in the market for fenders and I was wondering which brand the more experienced fender riders on thechainlink might recommend...and why. Also, what should I be looking for in a pair of good fenders?

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Full coverage fenders; there's two major plastic brands on the market: SKS and Planet Bike. Planet Bike fenders have mud flaps, which apparently make more of a difference (though I haven't seen how, yet). They're around the same price point ($35/set).

From there, you can go to upwards to steel, wood, or other types of fenders.

As always, check what Sheldon says.
I've the Planet Bike fenders. They work fine. Even Grant Peterson admits that from a purely functional view, plastic fenders work fine and anything more is just bling.
agreed, anything to keep you from getting skunk ass.
They're all good. I have one set of Planet Bike Cascadia, a set of the Planet Bike Freddy Fenders, and then a set of the SKS full coverage fenders. All three are great. The SKS don't have mud flaps, but you could easily add your own. The issue is mainly how far the front fender goes down on the back side of the wheel. If it's not low enough there is a lot of mud and grime that gets tossed up onto your shoes- especially if you have longer cranks. You can make your own mudflaps from old inner tubes, leather pieces, or things such as milk bottles...

At any rate, they're all good, do a good job of keeping you and your bike from getting totally covered in grime, whether it's raining or just wet out. Particularly useful in the winter when there's a layer of crap on the roads all season.
I second Planet Bike fenders. I have the EZ install version, which allow you to install without any tools. They also have the mud flaps, which aside from functional, look nice too. :)
Anyone know which brands will fit well on fixed gears? I don't have a ton of clearance on my Fuji track, and I desperately need some for the wet/cold months ahead.
Planet Bike Speedz should work. They clip to the seat stays and the fork since your bike doesn't have brazeons. Not as great as true full coverage fenders, but definitely better than nothing.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7017.html

ZC said:
Anyone know which brands will fit well on fixed gears? I don't have a ton of clearance on my Fuji track, and I desperately need some for the wet/cold months ahead.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service