The Chainlink

http://www.performancebike.com/index.cfm

I know in the city there are many different stores that you can pop in to. In the deep burbs we don't have that many choices. Many on the old mom and pop stores have gone bye bye.

I went here to day (off of Rt 59) and they were very friendly and glad to help, they were also open until 9pm.

Any other shops that you recommend? In the city or deep burbs?

Views: 115

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One more vote for www.chicagobikeshops.info - there's a link to it on the homepage and in the Biking Resources section.

I can only speak for myself, but in the city I really like Johnny Sprockets for service, Performance for cheap gear, and Yojimbo's Garage for the real nitty gritty bike knowledge and parts you can't find anywhere else. Overall, I've found that every bike shop I've been to is staffed with very friendly, very knowledgeable people. After all, they're cyclists too and we all love talking bikes.
I go to Yojimbo's Garage for 98% of my needs, but it's definitely higher-end stuff. However, no store really compares in terms of knowledge and community support (at least, from my perspective). Cycle Smithy is my go-to for the "shit, it broke on the way home" stuff, and Universal Cycles for cheap, on-line, deals.
Seconds for Yojimbos and Cycle Smithy. I'd add Mission Bay if you're looking for triathlon gear and Roscoe Village Bikes if you're looking for the full Jamis and KHS line or to support a great community-based bike shop.
If you want inexpensive service I think Irv's in Pilsen Racine/18th is a bargin...

$10 bucks to true a wheel!

Not open very late though
Alberto's in Highland Park is the best bike shop I've been to in any state.

I've worked in a few bike stores (worked there for 3 years). I've never seen better customer service, had a better bike fit, had a better tune-up. Brendan George (owner) has been with the store since he was in his mid-teens (he's pushin 40 now). He does all the bike fits, pro bike builds and is in the store 6 days a week.

Incidentally, while it wasn't uncommon for us to sell a $8-9k bike in 2002 (and probably isn't uncommon for them to sell a $15k bike now), they're just as helpful and respectful if you walk in with a Pacific you picked up at Walmart that happened to have the fork installed wrong.

PS. You pay for what you get.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service