The Chainlink

So I've been noticing the birds are starting to prepare for migration, which reminds me that winter will be here sooner than you think. And I want to be prepared (I used to be a girl scout), considering that I plan on riding during the winter and haven't done so in Chicago before. I've read in a couple of places that single-speed is the way to go for winter. Currently I ride an old Schwinn 10-speed road bike that I've been considering converting to single-speed for a little while now, since I never change gears because I never feel the need to. But my friend who rides fixed-gear said I should hold onto my gears because I'm going to need them when it gets windy. So what are folks' opinions? Single-speed or 10-speed for our blustery, gross Chicago winters?

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check out Stay The Course: All-Season Cycling Made Simple on Oct 12. For more info go to the calendar of events.
There's no sense in changing bikes for the winter if you're comfortable riding a particular bike. Dress well, ride in a lower gear, and have lots of lights on you and your bike. However, if I had to pick, I would take gears over no gears. Why? Technology; I've ridden 3 winters fixed, and finding a gearing which allows you to deal with strong headwinds makes spinning out more likely with the wind behind your back.

For the least amount of maintenance, get an internal 3-speed hub.
I really think the answer to this question revolves some serious soul seeking.

Anything you want on one type of bike can be had on the other.

If you have a single speed or fixed gear it is relatively cheap to find the right gearing for you (cheaper than buying a geared bike). IF you have a geared bike, you can always slip a fixed wheel in place of a multi wheel (it's not the smartest thing to do but enough coaches and racers do this in the beginning of the season to justify me mentioning this).

The question you should ask yourself is this: Is there really a point to switching?

My logic says something like this, October-December: "No man, it's cool to be lazy. You worked your ass off all year. Chill-axe and spin those 17 miles to Pilsen in a 34/25." THEN, after xmas and all the other holidays I desperately try to participate in that don't require fasting and instead have been bastardized to produce gluttony, "Hey Fatass! It's Jan. 19th and you're still doing pathetic intervals on the treadmill. You're running out of time to get non-fatass... bikini season is right around the corner! Go commute using a fixie." When I answer the January call of, what I like to call, THE STOOOOPID, I find myself hating myself for listening BUT a fixed gear serves its purpose: The Fattassed, jolly, fermented, over-stuffed, new year's resolution failing tommie goes away and is replaced with what is currently sitting in front of a glowy all-white iMac--bitter crotchety, way faster, svelte tommie.

To translate the Tommie logic: "If you wanna work harder then go fixed. If you don't get gears."
----
To address the needing more gears for the winter or for the wind: If one were to work in a bike shop and replace rear cassettes daily due to them being worn out, one would notice that 1-3 cogs are worn way more than all the others. To me this says, "People don't shift as much as they think they do or think they need to." In fact, Shimano and other component brands have done something magical: They make cheap cassettes so that you basically have to replace the whole thing (**CHA-CHING!!!!**) where as the expensive cassettes have far more individual cogs (forget SRAM, they're strange) which allows riders to replace only the ones that wear out (**CHA-CHING!!** notice the 2 !! not 4 of em?). If one were to work in a bike shop, one would also notice that its neither the small cogs (11-13) nor the big ones 23-27 that get replaced its the ones in the middle that are GoldyLOX and replaced.

I have a suspicion that you will need to go to an easier gear for the winter BUT you will not be taking advantage of all the gears the Lord hath offered (similar to how you ride now).

I also think that you should probably opt for more because having more than you need is the TRUE AMERICAN WAY (and obviously not the reason our economy is goin round and round the shitter.)
-----

If one were to obtain a winter bike I would highly suggest picking up an el-cheapo nasbar or fetich cyclocross bike and all the used parts you need to build it up (fixed or not). You'll spend some $$ but get a better bike than any of the abominations that the big bike manufacturers offer for more $FRNs.
Man, I'll never forget the ride from 95th street up to Fullerton on my fixie into the wind. If you're riding along the lake, riding fixed/ss is only a good idea in one direction, so it works if you plan on taking the bus back. today, in fact, the wind kicked my ass again coming north, and i was thankful i had 18 gears to choose from; i think i used them all: highest gear going down (27mph felt like 20!) and the lower/est coming back (man, 10mph feels like 25).
Fixed or single speed bikes are easier to clean! ;-)
Jeff Koss said:
Fixed or single speed bikes are easier to clean! ;-)

I know, I know, but there's something zen to be said about cleaning drivetrain. Also, I had to put the long fingers on this morning at around 5, good god it's chilly. I'm going to stick to my geared Bianchi Volpe this winter, I have an odd affinity for touring bikes.
I know this sounds really stupid, but what do you do for your skin for when you have to roll your pant leg up in the winter? Saran wrap?

I've never rode in the winter... =P
Stop by any bike shop and get those yellow velcro ties that go around your pant leg. They're reflective and only a couple bucks.

You'll prolly find leg warms to be a good thing as well; you can get a nice pair from Performance.
You can also make legwarmers by chopping the sleeves off an old wool sweater. Wear the cuffed ends over or just below your knees and the open (ie cut) ends draping over your shoes. If you're crafty, attach a strap to secure them under your soles. I can't imagine ever buying new legwarmers. The sweater sleeve ones look a lot better too, kind of like old fashioned woolen gaiters.

And a tip for cold feet--instead of buying fancy shoecovers, just wear a ziplock freezer bag between your top sock layer and shoe or boot. It looks gross and starts to smell after a week, but those freezer bags are sturdy and my feet NEVER got cold last year. I never didn't-ride due to cold, only due to freezing-rain-turning-to-ice making traction a big issue. This year I hope to ride every day, no matta.
Thank you guys for the answers. Especially without mocking a newbie.... =)
Good idea Stacey E; mostly I'm talking about legwarmers that are thin enough to fit under whatever clothing a person chooses. Plus, the idea of having a wicking fabric might be more desirable in some circumstances.

Eventually I usually just switch to long underwear or tights under whatever clothes I normally would wear.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service