The Chainlink

Hi there. I ride at night - a lot. I use some old Cats eye halogen head lights and a nice red led strip for the rear. I also wear a bright orange construction vest. DO I look like a geek- yes, can the cars see me? I hope so.

Do you guys/gals have any suggestion for better night riding? Thanks in advance for your links and suggestions.

Views: 452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

anyone know where I could pick up a light that gets its energy from your pedaling i.e. no battery? I told a guy on the century his rear light was on and he said its always on when he's pedaling.
Julie Hochstadter said:
anyone know where I could pick up a light that gets its energy from your pedaling i.e. no battery? I told a guy on the century his rear light was on and he said its always on when he's pedaling.

That's a generator; you can get 'em online or visit your LBS and ask. Cycle Smithy might be able to get you started.
thanks for the tip vxla

vxla said:
Julie Hochstadter said:

That's a generator; you can get 'em online or visit your LBS and ask. Cycle Smithy might be able to get you started.
has anyone tried wrapping krog lights around their hubs? its working fine for me spinning the wheel with my hands but i'm curious to know if it'll stay at actual riding speed.

i dont see why not, but if someone's tried it and broke anything, i'd like to know asap. thanks.

DEADhex said:
I just bought a Knog

Its bright, and aesthetically pleasing. I have it in black.
Tommie said:
Lights on your helmet really get the attention of motorists. Wherever you're looking your light is pointing--if you don't think they see you, just look at them.

This works great. I have a little LED blinkie on top of my helmet. If I'm not sure that a driver sees me, I turn to look at the driver and point the blinkie directly at them. I also have one of the big external-battery superbright headlights. When visibility is poorer, or I'm riding in areas where there's lots of activity and drivers are more likely to be distracted (like Halsted through Boys Town), I use both. I've got a red blinkie on the back. I also like the reflective sidewalls on my tires (Schwalbe Marathon).

I got a blinkie vest similar to this one several years ago. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/safety-vest/ Dorky? Sure. More visible. You betcha!
this thread has inspired me. i'm going to pick up a helmet light today i think..
I use the cat eye. I've seen some putting lights on thier bags and helmets.
I was at this Red Eye event a few weeks ago and couldn't stop starring at this guy sporting a giant fake white fur vest that was literally glowing. Now, I'm thinking that wouldn't be a bad way to stay warm and be seen....haha I should have taken pictures, that thing was CRAZY!
And since I'm one of those bikers who rides the wrong way down one-way streets

Ah nooooooooo! Salmon! Salmon are continuously pulling out of Kenmore the wrong way when I'm riding down Montrose and call me an asshole when they almost hit me turning in!

vxla said:
Yes.
The Planet Bike super blinkie is nice and powerful.
That's what I use in back.

What I use in front:
Niterider MiNewt

It has long battery life (Li ion), two brightness settings, a really bright flash mode for the day time, you can swap it between bikes and strap it to a helmet. I've had mine for two years and it's still going stong.
It's come down in price a lot since I bought mine. Also, it's great for dark streets (and the North Shore Channel Trail) where you can't see potholes.

I also use Knog Frog Lights (Hipster cysts):

They are great for being seen, are inexpensive and again easy to swap between bikes.
there is a product called LightWeights. sort of stick anywhere reflectors. Many bike shops sell them (mine included) and you can stick them on wheels, frames, clothes, bags. Whatever.
I don't feel like I need super bright lights. The street lights do fine for my vision. and most low output LEDs should be sufficient for your visibility to cars. Nighttime or not, I rely on yelling quite a bit. If I can tell someone's head is in the clouds a good "HEY!" gets their attention pretty quick. But I think the most important safety measure of riding at night or day is to stay alert. See them coming before they come, like luke skywalker. But if you want to remove all shadow of a doubt (bad pun) and incapacitate anyone who rolls into your path, check this thing out

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/super-cyclelight/the-worlds-brightest-cy...

1,400 lumen for $1,185

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service