The Chainlink

I had been told that trackstands were easier to do on a fixed gear, but then several months into riding a fixie I still wasn't doing trackstands, so I decided to read up on the topic and learn how.

Here's a great article on how to do a track stand, and it introduces the notion of The Chocolate Foot, which is such a great idea, that even if you never learn how to do a trackstand, you can think about your chocolate foot and get just as much satisfaction.

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is the same page i learned from. i have not mastered track standing on a flat surface, but fortunately, most roads are crowned, and my chocolate foot is my left, so i am usually able to track stand at intersections with no problem.

i have never tried a track stand on a fixed gear bike before, do you now find that it is indeed easier?
I've helped people find that foot in snowboarding, too. Get behind them and shove them forward...whatever foot goes first is usually their dominant foot. There *are* exceptions; I'm reverse foot...so I snowboard/tarck stand with my dominant foot in back.
Interesting...I trackstand with either foot forward, but I'm more comfortable with my right foot forward and the front wheel turned towards the right. But on bikes that coast, I generally have my left foot forward if I stop pedaling.

Guess I'm wacked.
I'm also wacked, goofy, etc. I'm a righty and I clip out with my left foot and waterski with my right foot back on the slalom ski. I was told it's sign of superior intelligence and being gifted overall. Ok my mom told me that.
Leah said:
I'm also wacked, goofy, etc. I'm a righty and I clip out with my left foot and waterski with my right foot back on the slalom ski. I was told it's sign of superior intelligence and being gifted overall. Ok my mom told me that.

Well goofy foot is your right foot forward....at least in the snowboard world. That's not to say your superior intelligence isn't wacky or anything.. :-)
That's an excellent article, and it's responsible for 50% of my track-standing ability. This one is responsible for the other 50%.

So, can you do trackstands yet?
"You can also practice your trackstand by meditation and visualization. Put yourself into it while sitting on a couch, lying in bed, or even while walking down the street."

I'm gonna try that tonight.

Ryan said:
That's an excellent article, and it's responsible for 50% of my track-standing ability. This one is responsible for the other 50%.

So, can you do trackstands yet?
Ok, so I was looking around and found this video. If this 10-year old kid can do it, I'm pretty sure I can too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2_HyxKD20&feature=related
Leah said:
Ok, so I was looking around and found this video. If this 10-year old kid can do it, I'm pretty sure I can too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2_HyxKD20&feature=related

Bring your fixed gear tomorrow night and I'll teach you how.
woo hoo! wonder if mike will let us do this in the bar...
Hm, we didn't do this. Whoops.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service