It's time to crank on the sticker design for the coming Bike Winter cycling season . . . typically we start with a little open brainstorming, and see if we can get any new folks to come out of the woodwork and offer up drafting or design skills to make the ideas reality.
We're tentatively looking at September 22 for the kickoff meeting, which may be more workshop-oriented this year, for a target date to have them ready for distribution.
Lookee here for past stickers/mascots/slogans:
Go ahead and discuss away, but if you'd like to cut to the chase and design a sticker proposal, here are some considerations that will need to be taken into account:
1)These stickers eat up a sizable chunk of our hard-earned funds, and their main purpose is to be seen and read easily so that they can fulfill their function as advocacy tools- thus:
a) Proposed designs need to clearly, prominently, and legibly, at a glance, even in low light conditions, say Bike Winter 2012 (<b>not</b> <i>Chicago</i> Bike Winter! we have other cities that we like to support with these).
Bike Winter is two separate words.
b) Need to clearly, prominently, and legibly, at a glance, even in low light conditions, say bikewinter.org.
2) Size is 1.5"X 4.25".
Can be oriented horizontally or vertically-- see sticker gallery for examples
3) Should not violate copyrights or contain elements used without permission.
4) In keeping with tradition stickers may feature a 'new' mascot and a slogan that ideally would be a corny play on words, but this is not a requirement. In keeping with tradition designs/themes should also not resemble past years' stickers but present a new look for the coming season.
5) Proposals need to be submitted in final, production-ready form by Friday August 26 2011, either by posting to the sticker/mascot thread in thechainlink.org bikewinter group, or as an attachment to the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail list. Please try to reduce your image file to under 500k in size before posting to the bikewinter list.
6) Submissions not meeting 1 through 3 above will not be included in the voting.
Voting will take place via SurveyMonkey and will be conducted under the supervision of the Bike Winter chairs.
7) The winner will be determined by a tally of votes on Friday September 2; by submitting a design the creator hands off ownership to the Bike Winter effort and its volunteers for use in promoting the Bike Winter effort; creators agree that they will assist promptly if their design is chosen in any minor changes needed to assure visibility, compatibility with the printer's requirements, etc., and/or authorize others to make said changes.
8) Designs submitted in the past may be resubmitted with necessary updates, but must be submitted by the original artist
Voting for the 2012 Sticker Design is now live!
Closes Friday 9/9 at noon.
Initially there was a clear favorite but with 36 votes in, the spread looks like this, ordered only by most to least votes:
33.3% (12 votes)
27.8% (10 votes)
22.2% (8 votes)
16.7% (6 votes)
Last year there were 240 votes.
78 votes in-- the former number 3 has moved up to number one with 34.6%.
Former #3 is now #2 with 21%.
Former #1 is now #3.
Strange, because last year the spread ended up very close to where it initially fell.
Wow-- 168 responses already, and the survey has barely been live for 12 hours.
At this point there are two front runners that are neck-and-neck (2 votes apart), with enough distance to the others that it's fair to say one of them will be the winner.
Your vote counts! Please vote if you haven't already.
Wow-- 257 votes in the first 24h. Last year there were a total of 240 for the whole voting period.
There has been some interesting and dramatic volleying and the chips are falling very similarly to the way they were when the first handful came in.
Remember the ultimate goal of the stickers is to get people thinking about Bike Winter, so
feel free to spread the voting link around on facebook or wherever:
Voting closed with 406 votes tallied on Friday.
Thanks to all who participated!
Working hard to get the sticker printed and in hand for our Bike Winter kickoff event on 9/22 (watch the calendar for more on that).
After some deliberation we're going to sit on the results like last year so we can have a little "unveiling" on the 22nd.
Tentatively at the Billy Goat West (Ogden/Madison/Ashland), 6:30-ish.