The Chainlink

I just moved to morton grove from Kansas, and want to explore a bit.  Got a nice route utilizing the des plaines river trail, ipp, great western, fox river, grand il and the north branch trail.  Probably going to do it this coming saturday.  It's 120 miles.  Planning on leaving around 5 am and riding at a 13-15 mph pace (I'm riding a heavy touring bike).  Would love to have some company.  

Views: 879

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If plans don't change, I can ride with you from East Dundee to Mchenry.

I've tried the Des Plaines River Trail down in the Elmwood Park /  River Grove area, and it's dirt and coarse gravel south of Grand Avenue. I wouldn't ride it on a mountain bike.

Does anyone else know more about the state of that trail further north?

If you're forced off the trail around Grand Ave, I'd suggest picking up Thatcher Avenue south as far as Washington Street in River Forest.  Then head straight west to the IPP trailhead at the Berkeley water tower, just west of Mannheim where Washington becomes Butterfield Road.  The IPP east of there runs through residential areas with curb cuts at street crossings every block -- very tedious.

That said, I'll meet up with you at some point near River Forest and ride to your 40-mile mark or thereabouts. 

Actually, I wouldn't ride the Cook County portion of the DPRT on a horse .... heheh.

http://home.comcast.net/~cmorhiker/DPRBikeCook.html

Plans changed, working tomorrow.

50, have you done a 120 mile ride on paths before? I just can't see it. Even when I was riding centuries every weekend, that would have been about twice as far as I could have handled.... negotiating paths is way not the same as being on the open road; you're talking about a 12-14 hour ride here.

@H -

I've actually only done a century on roads... Last time I road the fox river trail it was pretty tough... When I did the katy a few years back, 60 mile days were about all I could handle.  With that section from McHenry back to MG being paved, do you really think it would be too hard?  I would imagine that at least a third of the ride would be paved.  But still it might be too tough.  I'd like to get another century in before the end of the month.  Any suggestions on a better route?   Or suggestions on groups to ride with?  Riding a 40 pound touring bike kinda limits my group ride options... Would love to meet some folks here though.  

What about the Harmon Hundred? Or are you looking to start and end in Morton Grove?

I'm going up to Door County Century this weekend. There's also North Shore Century in 2 weeks.

I'd definitely do the North Shore Century... Will my 15 mph average be laughed at? 

By 15MPH pace are you talking "averaged moving speed" (total distance over time moving) -or the pace you are going at most of the time?

I tend to go 16-18MPH (with occasional 20-ish + speeds on nice flat open roads) when I'm riding but with slowing-down for stops, peds and other slow-movers on the path, and other danger crossings and such the actual average moving pace is more like 14MPH over the entire ride (not including actual stops but I rarely STOP other than waiting for a light to change.)  I also don't burn down multi-use paths at much more than 14-15 just for safety's sake as peds can be unpredictable and when there are curvy spots with trees/shrubs in the way that makes going faster just not a good idea.

If you are averaging 15MPH+ over your long rides on a heavy touring bike you are much faster than me and certainly nothing to be embarassed of. 

I'll be there too, and won't be going more than 15 most of the time. We should all meet up.  In 2008 that was how I first met Chainlinkers and good friends now (like Kelly Brennan, Ryan and Evan).  Vintage discussion thread and blast from the past here.

50missioncap said:

I'd definitely do the North Shore Century... Will my 15 mph average be laughed at? 

The Northshore looks like a lot of fun and I can't wait to ride it.   My wife will be doing the 50-mile loop this year as well.  It'll be her longest single-day ride ever.  I'll be on the 100-mile loop.  

I had hoped to do the Apple Cider this year as well but unfortunate circumstances keep me from being able to be in town that weekend. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service