The Grumpy Grind 5 is a self-supported gravel grind that begins and ends in Milledgeville IL. This years ride will be approximately 75 miles. There is no field limit, and entry is free. A postcard registration is still required. Check out grumpygrind.com for more details.
The course will be challenging, the weather will be unpredictable, and the post-ride eats and beverages will delicious and well earned. There will no field limit or deadline for registration this year, but you will need to still send me a postcard in order to be on the "official" 2017 Rider List. The Grumpy Grind is an event that is seemingly located in the middle of nowhere, but I think you will find the ride memorable and worth your while. Hopefully we'll see you in April!
Why so Grumpy?!
1. The unpredictable weather in April can make you grumpy.
2. Messy April roads can make a rider grumpy.
3. Messy roads that can ruin a bike's drive-train will leave you Grumpy.
4. Being out of shape for a long distance ride in the spring can leave you grumpy.
5. Taking the "scenic route" because you didn't carefully pay attention to your cue cards can make you grumpy.
6. Hills that you didn't expect to be in Illinois can make you grumpy.
7. Die hard "grinders" complaining about there not being enough gravel on the ride can get grumpy. (Trust me, there will be enough gravel.)
8. Those who like to race, wondering where the awards are, might get grumpy. (Each person gets the same award... all finishers will get something.)
9. Any rider who doesn't understand the peaceful thrill of riding loose gravel will be grumpy.
10. Okay, if you have read this far, you should have figured out that the name "Grumpy Grind" just sounded catchy. You'll have a great time. So relax and enjoy the ride. There is no reason to be grumpy!