The Chainlink

Hello everyone, I'm new to the world of cargo bikes /long tails and I'm having trouble deciding between the EdgeRunner and the Yuba Mundo. I'm looking to haul a couple of toddlers around, run errands, pickup groceries. All that good stuff. Is there anyone on the forum with strong opinions on either of these bikes? I realize this may have been discussed before but I was wondering if any of the recent 2014 improvements has put one bike above the other.

Thanks for the help.

Views: 4482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if it counts a strong opinion, but I like my Xtracycle. In fact, I just used it yesterday (that's not me, that's the guy that sold me the yellow Atala):

Besides the obvious use as a grocery getter, I've also hauled bags of mulch and other odds-n-ends. Mine is an add-on Free Radical which I added to the Specialized five to seven years ago. I'm sure that more modern dedicated utility bikes will be better than my setup. Still, I like mine just fine.

You could go to Green Machine Cycles and JC Lind Cycles and hear what they have to say. 

I recommend test riding both if you can.  I used to have a cargo bike with the Free Radical rear end (stolen), and test rode a Mundo at JC Lind.  The Mundo is a beast, but rides very smoothly and was of course more rigid than the Free Radical.  I suspect that the Edgerunner has a different feel to both with the smaller rear tire.

Also, consider the accessories. I prefer the Xtracycle bags over the Yuba bags, though I believe you can rig the Xtracycle bags to a Mundo.

My wife has a Mundo (from JC Lind) and has just started using it for two kids (with two seats on the back). She really likes it and we haven't had any real problems with it in 1.5 years.

Thanks, I'm leaning toward the EdgeRunner, at the moment.
Hi Chris,
Did you ever pull the trigger on an Edge Runner? Ive had my eye on the Mundo or Edge Runner as well lately.
Yuba has been a great kid and stuff hauler for us for the last 2+ years - an upgrade from our bucket bike for sure. Tires generally need to be upgraded (love Marathon plus since flats with kids is a PITA). My favorite feature is the tow tray which allows us to tow my daughters 20in and carry my sons 12in bikes. It is heavy but a super solid ride. I have ridden with both kids and camp gear about 60 miles comfortably.
Thanks for the info Anika. Anyone have any opinions or info on the Edge Runner?
We went with the EdgeRunner 27D. We've had it a couple of weeks now and love it. We ride it almost every day. We tested the Mundo and liked it but the EdgeRunner just felt right with two kids on back. I think the smaller rear wheel really makes a difference. If I was going to be carrying strictly cargo I'd consider the Mundo, Surly Big Dummy or Konna Ute. If you're interested I'd recommend going to Green Machine Cycles, that's where we bought ours, they're great, very knowledgeable, friendly staff. Ezra and josh loaded up an EdgeRunner with a Yepp seat and hooptie so we could get a real world test with two squirmy kids. My daughter fell in love with the EdgeRunner on that first trip and didn't want to give it back.

Congratulations Chris!  I'm a Yuba owner as well, and I missed out on this thread but wanted to contribute these photos for anyone researching this in the future.  The orange Yuba is mine, the Edgerunner belongs to Jessica (of AltBikes, in Lincoln Park.)  I do like how the deck sits low on the Edgerunner, but the Yuba leaves me with few complaints. You can also see the cut-out in the Yuba's running board here, Anika and the folks from Ding Ding Let's Ride were kind enough to let me check out their accessories, comparing notes is really helpful.  We started with a Yepp as well and were warned away from the monkey bars by a few people, and I'm really pleased with my 3 and 5 year old carrying setup.  On my Yuba you can see the hold-on bars, two soft spots, a rumble strap, and the tow kit, on the Edgerunner they have a Hooptie without the "hoop" attached, a Magic Carpet, and a Yepp.   Maybe we'll see you guys around soon!   

Attachments:
Congrats on your new bike Chris! Thanks for the sidexside comparison Kaycee.

I'm in the market for one of these as well. I'm going to work with a local company, Off Grid Bikes, to put an electric motor on it. Makes the hauling much more effective when needed! 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service