The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you have helpful winterizing tips for the dog trailer, Zoetrope? Do you own a dog and use a bicycle to get around all year? I was actually replying to Alex...

It was 32° and sunny on our ride Saturday, and I had two blankets in there, a thundershirt and a coat on her, and she likes colder weather. Plus the trailer front has a cover flap that I had velcroed down.

(I suppose the smiley face was supposed to temper your wise and knowing condescension?)

Zoetrope said:

If I remember correctly it was pretty cold Saturday, and damn that would not sound like fun if I were a dog.  Even with a coat.  The thing about dogs is they are pro's at hiding pain and discomfort.  If you're not moving to create any heat energy and stuck in a drafty nylon box, that sounds like a bad time to me.  Don't take this the wrong way -- just something to keep in mind next time.   :)

Sarah D. said:

Hey Alex, I'm not sure if you were serious here, but do you have a dog trailer? I do and took my dog on a ride Saturday with her coat on but still wondered if she was too cold in there - LMK if you think of ideas. I like that my trailer is super ventilated, but I worry it's too much cold air blowing in. Might have to winterize the thing. Usually just didn't use it in winter but - why not?

Alex Marple said:

Took my dog to daycare and rode into work. This will be my first winter riding in Chicago so we'll see how well it works out. With enough clothing I think I'll be fine. Now the pooch...

Yep, I'm still riding.  Just got my new winter tires from REI with their 25% off deal.  Although I will most likely be doing commute only now.  As far as a roadie I am done till next spring, the bike trainer is out in the living room now.  :)

This is my second bike winter! I pulled out all my wool garments and will continue to happily travel to all my destinations.  Biking is SO much better than the crowded germ-infested CTA, or waiting in the cold for a bus or or train. I haven't driven in eons. I think I'll keep it that way. 

I counted at least 5 other riders today on my various tos and fros.

"The Revolution will NOT be motorized" 

+1

MagMileMarauder said:

I ride every day to actually enjoy winter, among other countless benefits. I often feel smug about it among the "I love Chicago, but I hate winter in Chicago" crowd :).

A big congrats to all the debut Bike Winter Riders!  Remember to jot down (or take a mental note) of the layers you wear and corresponding temperatures, it will help you throughout the season. Someone gave me that advice last year and it was a good one.  Forget cotton, stock up on wool and fleece.  The wind cuts right through cotton, and if you sweat you end up wet and COLD.  I made out like a bandit at second-hand stores last year for wool. I made my own legwarmer, boot liners and face warmer. A good windbreaker or wind cutting water proof coat is essential. I second fenders, also bright clothing since its dark at 4:30 (grrr Day Light Savings Time). Have fun! I will wave to all bikers on days ending in "y" :-)  See you on the roads!   (Here's my blog post from 2011 on everything I learned if you are so inclined:

I completed my first Bike Winter!)

)

IT'S COLD OUT THERE this morning. Bundle up!

I managed to wear the right stuff all around to be comfortable riding in this lovely brisk weather.  Goggles arrived yesterday and I was glad to have them.  BUT, how do you manage to get out of the layers fast enough once you get to work?  In the three minutes from the time I enter the building to the time I get into my office I am roasting despite unzipping, removing helmet, and removing gloves just as fast as I can as I walk.

I couldn't agree more. I was talking about it with John, my bike repair guy and he mentioned, among other benefits, that he doesn't get sick as much when he rides in the winter. I connected the dots when I realized that spending less time in public transit germ incubators may help and the fresh air and crisp mornings along the lakefront are just beautiful. It got down to 22 degrees today but there wasn't much wind which helped a lot. Wool socks and gloves are a huge asset.

April said:

This is my second bike winter! I pulled out all my wool garments and will continue to happily travel to all my destinations.  Biking is SO much better than the crowded germ-infested CTA, or waiting in the cold for a bus or or train. I haven't driven in eons. I think I'll keep it that way. 

I counted at least 5 other riders today on my various tos and fros.

"The Revolution will NOT be motorized" 

It's my sixth Bike Winter, but my first ride to work since September 5 (back injury). Felt GREAT.

I bike all winter, but use the train more, cause I'm a big wimp with cold. And on days when there's a lot of ice, I stick to transit. 

But there's places (typically peoples houses) that just inaccessible via transit - 70 minutes via transit, or 20 min via bike, and I will give up the warmth and delightful aroma of CTA and just bike it.

Well, I am still riding. Still have a cold/flu that screwed up my Turkey Day.

BTW, if anyone sees a trailer attachment bar on Archer (south side of street), Halsted (East side of street), Jackson (South side of street), Jefferson (east side of street), Monroe (south side of street) to Canal (near the building with the wooden patio area)....please let me know.

It's for our family bike trailer. Was gonna have our building engineers fabricate an attachment for my Schwinn Frontier, and it fell off somwhere along my route to work.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service