The Chainlink

Share your pics, videos, streets, stories of what you find in the bike lane of the non-bike variety that has an impact on your ride and/or your safety. I've decided to keep it a little more open ended - cars, snow, buses, garbage, cabs, etc. If they shouldn't be in the bike lane, go ahead and add it to this thread. Please be safe if you are taking pics or video! :-) 

My hope is that we can collectively build some evidence of what we see when riding in the city with the overall hope of better enforcement of "bikes only" and improving maintenance. 

Update: More Hashtags to Capture Vehicles in the Bike Lane

With popular hashtags:
#BikeLaneShaming

#LaneSpreading (Chicago Bike Selling)

#ClearTheWay (ActiveTrans), there are many options to capture violations.

We think you should use ALL of them AND post your photos on The Chainlink. ;-)

Views: 83384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

225 N Franklin St. 311 reports submitted.

As I was passing 151 N Franklin yesterday it dawned on me that they had installed construction fencing on the sidewalk, and had created a pedestrian walk in the bike lane. They didn't create a temporary bike lane, so now cyclists have to merge into traffic with no warning. The same arrangement exists on Illinois St between Orleans and Franklin. I'm sure there are more places in the city where this is occurring.

I understand the need for construction sites to temporarily take over the sidewalks, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the bike lane. I noticed that construction at Union Station has resulted in the Clinton St bikes lanes being (properly) temporarily shifted around the construction.

The problem with Clinton is that the crew routinely takes over the pedestrian portion as well, resulting in pedestrians in the temporary bike lane. Sometimes people walk in the bike lane anyway, despite multiple signs saying "bikes only." Seems they're always at least 2 abreast and difficult to pass.

225 N Franklin St. 311 reports submitted.

1712 W. Taylor Street

11/28/2017 @ 7:45am

IL S450942

1712 W. Taylor Street

IL X906871

1712 W. Taylor Street

IL 799T668

1712 W. Taylor Street

IL 9731162 (did have a ticket of some type under a wiper - you can see it in the picture of X906871)

27 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted. Seriously, how f*cking difficult is it to pull over two feet to the curb?

225 N Franklin St. 311 reports submitted. I was going to report the driver behind the taxi, but I figured at least he stopped away from the curb to allow cyclists to go by on his right. Of course the real reason he did that was to avoid stopping too close behind the cab. Didn't really matter, because his stupid a** passenger stepped off the curb right in front of me without looking. I was going fairly slow at that point because I was going to take a pic of the cab in front of him, so I was able to avoid him. I gave the pedestrian a WTF look, and she shot me one back like it was my fault he stepped off the curb and into traffic without looking. Total clueless clowns.

1712 W. Taylor Street

11/29/2017 @ 7:00am

IL 9731162 (has been there at least 24 hrs)

1712 W. Taylor Street

11/29/2017 @ 7:00am

IL N837181

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service