The Chainlink

There's just a touch of chill in the air, but the days are much shorter and fall and winter are on their way.  What do you most look forward to about cold-weather biking? 

Me, it's the amazing feeling of hot coffee on a cold ride.  I have a coffee-cup-holder mounted on my handlebars, and for my 5 mile ride to work, I have hot Alterra coffee ready to go.  Stopping at lights and having a swig of it makes my day.  And drivers and other cyclists often comment to admire this cup-holder, which my girlfriend got me at K-Mart two or three years ago.

Views: 2544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Winter biking is awesome because of reduced sweat. 

I'm also looking forward to resuming nice rides on the LFP. Usually by October, the herd is thinned and riding is more manageable. 

Getting to ride this in the snow. Please, please, let their be some snow this year.

Big smiles, that's what it's all about! We can't wait! 

Also, excited to see what everyone with Chicago Bike Winter come up with this year, always a lot of great events and gatherings.

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Voice from the burbs: not a chance for me to commute because of the absence of walkways/bike paths and higher speed limits, but I would love to know more about winter biking overall

Lena,

There's a TON of information at www.bikewinter.org and in the Chainlink forum archives. Just search for 'bike winter' or 'winter biking', I'd imagine. You'll find threads about gear, outfitting your bike, clothing, techniques, etc..

Have fun,

-f

Lena Burkut said:

Voice from the burbs: not a chance for me to commute because of the absence of walkways/bike paths and higher speed limits, but I would love to know more about winter biking overall

Fran, Thank You a bunch. I will definitely check it out

Breaking trail in new-fallen snow!

Fewer people along the lake.  Though by the posts so far that may not be the case...

I like the bike winter stuff, no sweaty back, and wearing the gear. I also gotta admit, feels good when people look at you like you're a badass for doing something that's really not that hard to do.

new snow and slush are suprisingly ride-able and can be quite enjoyable.

salt crusts everything but is easily laundered with the mountains of clothing you'll be doing.

if you get lightweight-gauge long underwear and wear them under regular clothing you can look surprisingly normal for a day at work... and you don't get too sweaty. they can be layered with heavier insulation for those more brutal, character building days.

plan on falling. maybe a lot!... the good news is... the gobs of insulating/windproof layers make for great slidey padding... wipe-outs can become almost amusing. and?.. is it just me or does winter seem like road rash is less prevalent?

get a balaclava

sewer caps are the enemy.. so is cotton clothing
... layering is key!

another great joy is we get to own the LFP again!!!... for a few brief, blissful months it transforms into a totally different place!!! stunning levels of peace, quiet solitude and reduced dooshery

you will be surprised how many winter days you can ride

last winter i did like 800 on the mtb
and 200 on the tandem for recreational miles!

rock on y'all!

+10

Particularly in the early morning when it is dark and the newly fallen snow muffles all sound so it is as if you are the only one around.

bk (aka: Dr. Mambohead) said:

Breaking trail in new-fallen snow!

First chilly morning today, and I was reminded that if the weatherman sez it's 50 at the lake, it's really in the 40s. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service