The Chainlink

I rode to work this morning and it seems like I'll have a damp ride home.  I heard there was a chance of rain this afternoon, but I decided to risk it. So my question to you: What % chance of rain keeps you off your bike?  And who do you trust for weather predictions?

Views: 1592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wore my rain pants over my jeans tonight and they were fine. Have you tried a cycling cap to keep the rain out of your face? Or maybe a balaclava?

Lisa Curcio said:

The thing I don't like about riding in the rain is the rain in my face.  I have not figured out how to stop it even though my jacket has a hood with a bit of a visor.  It still does not stop me from riding.

The rain pants thing--I know you all ride a lot harder than I do, but in the cooler weather is it still a problem?  I had my rain pants on tonight and they were not too hot and seemed to breathe okay.  I don't know if it matters, but mine are actually "foul weather pants" intended for boating.

Maybe a balaclava would work, but so far I have been afraid that it would be too hot.  Haven't tried a cap at all.  Can't hurt to try!

Adam Herstein said:

I wore my rain pants over my jeans tonight and they were fine. Have you tried a cycling cap to keep the rain out of your face? Or maybe a balaclava?

Lisa Curcio said:

The thing I don't like about riding in the rain is the rain in my face.  I have not figured out how to stop it even though my jacket has a hood with a bit of a visor.  It still does not stop me from riding.

The rain pants thing--I know you all ride a lot harder than I do, but in the cooler weather is it still a problem?  I had my rain pants on tonight and they were not too hot and seemed to breathe okay.  I don't know if it matters, but mine are actually "foul weather pants" intended for boating.

A balaclava would probably be uncomfortable in the summer, but when it's 40° out like it was tonight, it will keep your face nice and toasty. A cycling cap is probably your best bet, though.

Lisa Curcio said:

Maybe a balaclava would work, but so far I have been afraid that it would be too hot.  Haven't tried a cap at all.  Can't hurt to try!

Adam Herstein said:

Lisa Curcio said:

I don`t always check the forecast, but when I do, I look at these graphs:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.94038&lon=-87.6...

stay thirsty my friends... for cycling that is :)

No chance of rain stops me anymore! But any chance of rain used to stop me! High winds used to stop me too but not anymore. I think I have totally lost my mind but I love it!

So glad that I've finally got some fenders on my bike I use for commuting and knocking around town. I'm just more likely to hop on that bike regardless of the weather forcast and such a simple thing makes a big differnece on days like today.
I am not deterred by rain, but thunderstorms and ice will sideline me. I don't enjoy riding on heavy rain, but will, and same thing goes for bad headwinds. But lightning and ice I will not risk.

The "urban" billed helmets have always done a good job of keeping rain out of my eyes.

I wondered about those.  I have been thinking about a different helmet--especially for winter--so I will check those out.

Also, no thunderstorms for me either, or ice.

122782_ said:

The "urban" billed helmets have always done a good job of keeping rain out of my eyes.

When the chance is over 50% I usually look at a radar report and make a decision from there.  Big fenders on the bike make days like today much easier to justify biking, though.

If you're moving rain's going to get in your face no matter what.  I've been caught going home against some sleet storms along the lake and they're the worst!

Agreed, full fenders are an an absolute must. See Sheldon's post on fenders. Even with rain-proof clothing, fenders will still keep you drier and stop a lot of road gunk from flying up onto you and the person behind you.

Tricolor said:

When the chance is over 50% I usually look at a radar report and make a decision from there.  Big fenders on the bike make days like today much easier to justify biking, though.

If you're moving rain's going to get in your face no matter what.  I've been caught going home against some sleet storms along the lake and they're the worst!

Maybe a Frankenstorm....maybe :-) 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service