The Chainlink

Mine is a Lady's Rudge - me on the right %-{)> Send in your photos!!!!

Views: 6666

Replies to This Discussion

Update on my Raleigh Sprite project bike. Aesthetically it is about 95% finished. I'm converting it from a 5 speed to a 10 speed. I have most of the parts in hand and the rest are in transit. Hope to have it out at the next BBC ride. It was going to be a dead stock restoration, but I got a little carried away. Shimano dynamo hub coming to power the front (vintage Union) and back lights.

I finally built up the Moulton 4 frame that had been in my garage for years

It's now a Moulton 8 in that I built it with a Sturmey 8 speed rear hub. Loads of fun!
Fantastic! You should talk with Owen who rode a Raleigh 20 on the 3speed Tour!!!
And, of course, he has a Moulton ...

da' Square Wheelman (aka garth) said:
Fantastic! You should talk with Owen who rode a Raleigh 20 on the 3speed Tour!!!
When's the next tweed ride planned so I can see about taking it out for a spin with you chaps?
That would be the Cozy Hearth Ride, featuring The Windy City's finest firesides ... last year we rode this at the end of January.

Expect similar timing this year!

This is was my Dad's 1954 Raleigh Sports Light Roadster -Model 22.

He bought it new in '54 or early '55 from a LBS in Madison (actually Shorewood Hills) called Haack's Cycles.

It led a rough life delivering papers and being abused by Dad and his 4 brothers.  When I got this past summer it it was in pretty sad shape and needed a full working-over.  The only part I didn't totally disassemble, de-rust, clean and re-grease was the Sturmey Archer hub which was in perfect shape although the area behind the cog was packed full of some sort of turf/sawdust.  I don't know how that happened but the hub itself purrs like a kitten now behind the new 22T cog. 

I had to put on a new B66 as the old one was long gone, MKS rubber-block pedals to replace some cheap Walds that were put on in the late 60's or early 70's,  a couple of  inner cables, new tires/tubes, and brake pads.  I installed a Virge Bullet headlight, a Tung-Lin bottle dyno,a Brass bell, and a leather saddle bag to round out the ensemble.

She's nearly ready for some serious pleasure cruising.

I'm thinking of buying one of these Great Britain aluminum bicycle license plates to hang from the back of the saddle bag.  I don't know what I'd have printed on it, if anything.  Maybe GSTQ! or something silly like that.

Spent the fall/winter nursing a fractured lower vertabrea (not fun) and restoring this 23" framed 1971 Triumph pulled from a local church basement!! We are both tip top now and ready for a run. 

Looks great, Sam! And we don't often see the 23" frames? Sorry to hear of the back woes, but glad that you are now better.

sam hubbell said:

Spent the fall/winter nursing a fractured lower vertabrea (not fun) and restoring this 23" framed 1971 Triumph pulled from a local church basement!! We are both tip top now and ready for a run. 

My last 2 builds:

I have a black 1957 Raleigh 3-speed. We just picked up a 1974 Raleigh 3-speed for my wife from Mike's Bikes of Oak Park during the Milwaukee Avenue Arts Festival. It's a beauty! Pristine condition. Beautiful blue paint job. We both love the convenience of the Sturmey Archer hub gears.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service