The Chainlink

They didn't plow the protected bike lane in the loop this morning.

I posted pictures here http://wbez.tumblr.com/

Views: 1195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for putting this out there!  I do hope the City is not resting on its laurels by abandoning maintenance and repair of something that I consider to be truly an accomplishment.

This is a surpeise to anyone?

The Tribune reported that for the slightly more than one inch of snow the city had deployed 200 of its 284 snow plow trucks.  Frankly, the streets didn't look that great either, so I don't know where the trucks were.

This is exactly why I didn't ride this morning.  Last winter taught me it usually takes a day or two for protected bike lanes to be cleared of the snow/slush.

Disappointing but not at all surprising.

Thanks for documenting this. Would be nice to stay focused on what we're going to do about it rather than compete for who's the least surprised.

Didn't realize I was competing.  What's the score?!

Did you honestly expect that Dearborn would get plowed this morning? This should come as a surprise to no one.

You know, h' is right.  I have not checked, and I will, but does anyone know if it is possible to make a 311 complaint about this on line?  Or should we be sending e-mails to someone?  Or any other suggestions?  In a day or two the little bit of snow that fell will be gone, but the piles that buildings pushed into the lane will not be.  Those piles will be rock hard and even more dangerous than they are now.  It goes beyond a plan to clear the snow that falls.  Building owners must be stopped from plowing snow into the lane.

Can someone with a cargo bike attach a plow to the front of their bike? I'm only half kidding. :-)

Lisa, I'd definitely call 311 or try the online version. You can check the status of a service request here.

You can also check the location of snow plows, although it doesn't show which streets have been plowed, only the current location of the trucks. Here's an unofficial map of which streets have been plowed using data from the city.

A city service request is easy and probably should be placed without much deliberation for pretty much every problem whether it's likely to produce results or not.

Beyond that, I'd say Charlie Short is our next avenue, or any Active Trans contact if he's not responding, and then if we can get our Grid Chicago-cum-Streetsblog lads on the case....
And then there are those among us who are magically able to get return communication from Gabe Klein.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

You know, h' is right.  I have not checked, and I will, but does anyone know if it is possible to make a 311 complaint about this on line?  Or should we be sending e-mails to someone?  Or any other suggestions?  In a day or two the little bit of snow that fell will be gone, but the piles that buildings pushed into the lane will not be.  Those piles will be rock hard and even more dangerous than they are now.  It goes beyond a plan to clear the snow that falls.  Building owners must be stopped from plowing snow into the lane.

Blah blah blah

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Did you honestly expect that Dearborn would get plowed this morning? This should come as a surprise to no one.

The online 311 service is pretty restrictive and I cannot find a way to make the complaint/service request that will actually describe the issue.  There is no place to put in a description; one must choose from the programmed possible problems.   Maybe Kathy could go right to the top and get in touch with Gabe Klein? ;-)

h' 1.0 said:

A city service request is easy and probably should be placed without much deliberation for pretty much every problem whether it's likely to produce results or not.

Beyond that, I'd say Charlie Short is our next avenue, or any Active Trans contact if he's not responsing, and then if we can get our Grid Chicago-cum-Streetsblog lads on the case....
And then there are those among us who are magically able to get return communication from Gabe Klein.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service