The Chainlink

Without opening up some kind contemptuous, argumentative can of worms, I'd like to ask for advice on helmets.

My landlord is a club rider who goes out every weekend for fast, long rides in the 100 mile range. He crashed recently and broke a rib (or two.) I believe he's fine otherwise, but the crash prompted him to ask me if I knew what "the very best helmet on the market might be." I mentioned that there's no magic force-field of protection out there, but that I'd ask here and forward your thoughts and suggestions to him.

I would really appreciate it if we could refrain from having one of those discourses on helmets, please.

Cost is not an issue, but I suspect that given his proclivity for speed, ergonomics are paramount.

Thanks.

Holly

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is not right answer, it's more a matter of what is right for you than what is right for the world.  The safest helmet out there is going to be a full face helmet that protects your chin and face but no one really wants to wear something that heavy on a bike...

Personally I wear a skate style helmet because that is what I prefer; it is heavier then a traditional helmet but I tend to ride bikes with a more upright position so neck strain is not as big an issue and I usually do not ride hard enough to need the extra venting of a traditional bike helmet.  I think it may be a little stronger than a normal bike helmet because of the thicker shell but who knows.

Of course if I worried about weight, rode in a more aero position and worked harder when riding I might want a traditional bicycle style helmet for the weight savings and better vents so it is really all relative to what you are looking for, how you ride and your personal style.

Giro makes so nice Helmets as does bell

Specialized Prevail

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service