The Chainlink

I bought my wife a bike with a Nexus 7 internal geared hub. The hub seems to be adjusted perfectly - the little yellow marks line up in 4th gear as they should - and the shifting is fine. However, when pedaling beyond 4th gear I hear a clicking sound. It's not terrible just a bit annoying. Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks!

Views: 4990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well, we're off topic, but... yeah the fake disk is supposed to be a heat sink, but Azor removed it straight from the factory, so I guess it's possible. The heat sink is not on the hub; it's on the rollerbrake. You don't want to use rollerbrakes on mountain descents (or even in Seattle really) with or without the rattling disk but it works fine here in flatland. A good heat sink usually attaches well to maximize conduction, too...

I suggested using the silicone or O-ring on a brake with the heat sink still attached so it doesn't rattle as much. You could use heat paste from real heat sinks if you want to keep replenishing it I suppose...

Oh, and the rollerbrakes can be used with a Nexus 7 speed so there, it's back on topic. Did the OP's clicking turn out to be from something bad?

I'm hoping that the clicking is just normal and the OP doesn't have an issue.  Often non-hubbers are a bit surprised at some of the noises an IGH can make in normal operation.  Clicking often is just normal.

If not then perhaps it is still under warranty and the LBS could look at it/listen to it.  I've never had to have Shimano do warranty work but it shouldn't be too bad if it is covered.  I hear SRAM is super-awesome with their approved shops and will replace whole hubs and shifters at the slightest hint of a problem while under warranty.  

Best to have it checked out  by a factory-approved wrench before the warranty runs out if there is any doubt to ensure the long-term reliability of the hub.  They aren't exactly cheap to work on if you are paying an LBS for out of warranty work.  But a  good hub should last nearly forever.  This is why I love the old Sturmey-Archer AW hubs.  They are nearly bullet-proof and survive decades of abuse and miles and are very easy to work on if one is handy.   

My Nexus 7 has the exact same problem, clicking noise in gears 5,6 and 7. I was so stoked to find this thread thinking I would find the solution. My joy turned to frustration as the general consensus was that the noise was, "perfectly normal." 

Man, I don't think I can take it. It's like Chinese water torture with the constant tick tick tick tick. I shift down to 4 even when it doesn't make sense to just to escape it. 

Has anyone been able to exorcise the ticking demons from an otherwise joyful Nexus 7? Or is there anyone with a Nexus 7 who doesn't have this problem at all?

Cheers!

It is not a demon; it is how the hub works.  There is a set of pawls in the hub that are driven and grab the hub shell at different times depending on the gear selection.  That means that at times the hub shell will move faster than some of the sections of the hub cartridge which will lead to the clicking sound you hear.  There is no way around it unless you upgrade to an Alfine which uses a different driver.

Bill Hartrich said:

My Nexus 7 has the exact same problem, clicking noise in gears 5,6 and 7. I was so stoked to find this thread thinking I would find the solution. My joy turned to frustration as the general consensus was that the noise was, "perfectly normal." 

Man, I don't think I can take it. It's like Chinese water torture with the constant tick tick tick tick. I shift down to 4 even when it doesn't make sense to just to escape it. 

Has anyone been able to exorcise the ticking demons from an otherwise joyful Nexus 7? Or is there anyone with a Nexus 7 who doesn't have this problem at all?

Cheers!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service