The Chainlink

SOLD

20" Specialized Street Stomper

What the heck is a Street Stomper you ask? Well, it is something of a unique bird, apparently. It was produced by Specialized for 1 or 2 years in the late 80's - I'm pretty sure this is a 1987. The bike itself is a hybrid - A mountain bike that was made for urban riding. It would make an awesome commuter (double eyelets front and back for rack and fender mounts, plenty of clearance).

Here are the specs:

Shimano S.I.S. Front/Rear Derailleur

18 speed (triple front/6spd back)

Dia-compe canti's

Selle Italia saddle

Sugino cranks (Triple)

26" tires

20" frame

Physical condition (pics attached):

The condition is excellent; It has been garage stored its entire life. The frame has a couple of dings, but other than that it looks to be in very good condition. The bike was given to me by a friend, but the frame is too small, so it goes up for sale here first, CL next. 

Riding condition:

I have done no work to the bike other than greasing the seat post and the stem (neither are seized obviously), pedals, and put on a new chain. It shifts to all gears without any hang-up. Tires are not the original ones, but they look old. I put air in them and it holds. IMO, If you're going to commute on this, I would suggest some slicks rather than the knobby MTB tires.

Asking $175. For a viewing, I live in West Town/Noble Square.

Views: 6209

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Price drop $125.

This is the basis for a really great commuter! It is too small for me though. Wah!

Spence, does it have horizontal dropouts? It looks like it, but I can't tell exactly.

Good question! Answer: It didn't occur to me to look at this bike as a possible fixie/SS conversion as I've been rolling geared for the past year. I have another photo of the derailleur that is inconclusive, but my initial guess based on the photo is near-horizontal drops. Anyway, I'll check tonight and update the listing (and add a photo of the drops)!

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

This is the basis for a really great commuter! It is too small for me though. Wah!

Spence, does it have horizontal dropouts? It looks like it, but I can't tell exactly.

cool bike and right up my alley--

when you say that the frame has dings- does this mean that the frame is dented, or are these scratches?

Dings (as in scratches) in the paint, no dents. If you look at the picture, you can see a couple dings on the top tube.

I can send you some more photos if you would like. PM your email address.

Some drop-out weirdness: left side has a legit horizontal drop-out with a spacer. The drive-side looks like a horizontal drop until you pull the axel out.A portion of that drop-out has been filled in. If someone was dying to make this a single speed, I'm guessing you could possibly file out the right drop-out, but I don't know the consequences that might have on the integrity of the drop-out.

Here are the "dings" I was talking about. This is the worst of it, but there are one or two on the chainstay similar to this and on the down tube as well. I might have been overly optimistic calling this almost brand new, so I am going to change the original description to very good condition.

And I'll drop the price to $100 for someone who will make this into the kick-ass commuting machine it is meant to be.

2 questions

what is the standover height? I am 6,0...

when are you available to show the bike?

I'll post the standover height tonight, but I'm going out to dinner, so I won't be around. I will be available tomorrow afternoon (after 4pm) or Sunday after 12pm.

rb said:

2 questions

Stand-over height is 30.5"

Also, just a reminder that this is mountain bike geometry with all the nice touring/commuter braze-ons.  So anyone considering this frame should do so in mountain bike measurements and not road bike measurements, they are different. For instance, I'm a approx 22" or 23" in MTB, and a 25" in a road bike.

spencewine said:

I'll post the standover height tonight, but I'm going out to dinner, so I won't be around. I will be available tomorrow afternoon (after 4pm) or Sunday after 12pm.

rb said:

2 questions

sorry but I think I need to hold out for a larger frame for my intended use.

the bike is very sweet though

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service