The Chainlink

My Girlfriend wants to move to Milwaukee  because it's cheaper and we could possible buy a house. However I would have to give up my 2 hour bike commute and trade it for a 2 hour car commute. Don't really want to drive a car again, really like my Gf but cant seem to reason for myself. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Views: 1261

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't unless I could find a job in Milwaukee and if, of course, I cared a lot for the guy. If not I'd just say, "no." And then I'd go celebrate my freedom with a nice long bike ride and a drink with some friends. I can't imagine leaving my family behind either. Meh.

https://www.freakonomicsexperiments.com

Cant make a decision for you,  but there's a lot of reasonably priced suburbs out there.  Price out buffalo grove , libertyville, des plaines, or others before adding $7-10k a year to car commute. 

Yikes! I always consider any auto commuting that I need to do as part of my workday when I'm thinking about my level of "true compensation."

For example: Say that I have a job paying $15/hr. I cannot ride my bike to work and it takes me 1 hour by car. If I work an 8 hour shift I make 8 * $15 = $120, but I also had to spend 2 hours driving! Therefore, my "true compensation" for that days work is only $120 / 10 = $12/hr, or about 20% less than my gross hourly wage. Plus, if we also consider the gas/fuel/oil/wear/etc. for the car, we're coming out even further behind. For example, let's say that we drive 40 mi each way during that hour, we should subtract another $0.555 * 40 * 2 = $44.40 from our daily take home, leaving us at a $7.56/hr (($120-$44.4)0 / 10) in "true compensation." Total bummer.

Yes, yes, I know that not everyone will value their time like this, but I think that the point stands that you should underestimate how much vehicle commuting is/will really costing you.

Both of my work associates live in Cedarburg, and commute by train 2-5 times a week.   You could always get a fold up bike, and hop off the train a few stops early to get some biking in.

I know I wouldn't want to face that commute in any way, but if you end up commuting between Milwaukee and Chicago via Metra or Amtrak, at least that gives you good leverage with the GF for a brand-new, tricked-out folding bike to carry onto the train.

Good luck!

i would never in a million years choose to car commute between milwaukee and northbrook everyday. that would crush my soul, and i've really become quite attached to my soul over the years. 

Milwaukee is a great city, but your GF needs to get some perspective on how specialized your job is. overall, housing is more expensive in chicagoland than it is in milwaukeeland, but we're not talking about an order of magnitude here. my advice: talk some sense into your woman, or move on.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service