The Chainlink

A while back I believe someone posted the statute that allows riding on sidewalks and paths on Park District property.  Recently, some residents along Sheridan Road are trying to ban bikes from "The Meadows" area, east of Sheridan between Bryn Mawr and Berwyn.  Last week, "Walk Your Wheels" signs went up.  I've ridden this section for the past 12 years on my way to work.  It's Park District property and I consider it an extension of the LFT and the safest way to access the LFT at the underpass north of Foster.

Would appreciate it if someone can cite that statute.  Thanks

Views: 1058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know that this is slightly off-topic but I found it very interesting so I figured y'all would too, with the caveat that this is from Madison, WI:

Does a bicyclist riding the wrong way on a one way street on a sidewalk coming to an intersection have the right-of-way?

Ross: "Yes. Drivers have to yield to bicyclists in the crosswalk regardless of which direction the bicyclist is coming from."

Ross has this to add: "I think it's an important starting point to getting people to think about their actions in traffic. Technically, the laws in Wisconsin generally do not assign right-of-way to one party or the other. Rather, the laws assign the responsibility to one party to yield or give the right-of-way to another. Right-of-way is something that is given, never taken. I think if people understood this -- whether we are driving a motor vehicle, riding a bike or walking, we are governed by sets of responsibilities, instead of rights -- we would all operate safer in the traffic environment."

Source: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/writers/steven_elbow/when-do-...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service