The Chainlink

Protected Bike Lane Frack-Up: Marshall Boulevard-- ??Resolved??

It looks like striping was completed yesterday for a protected lane on Marshall... at least from the south end of Douglass park to the bend towards 24th street (I personally don't have much use for a bike lane on the boulevard so can't speak to how far it extends either way...).

 

(11/20/12, 6/14/13-- subject line edited to reflect the current status)

Views: 1783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On Saturday morning I was driving from Douglas Park over to Western following the boulevards and noticed partially completed striping from Douglas Boulevard through the park to Marshall to 24th to California.

I'd like to see one through the park.  Is that in the cards?

Great to hear that project is coming together! By the end of this year, there should be a continuous bikeway along the boulevards from 24th and California to Garfield Park. It will be a mix of protected and buffered bike lanes, and yes, there should be a protected bike lane through Douglas Park on Sacramento. You can find more details on our map here: http://www.activetrans.org/bikeways/tracker

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

That's a nice site!

Active Transportation Alliance said:

Great to hear that project is coming together! By the end of this year, there should be a continuous bikeway along the boulevards from 24th and California to Garfield Park. It will be a mix of protected and buffered bike lanes, and yes, there should be a protected bike lane through Douglas Park on Sacramento. You can find more details on our map here: http://www.activetrans.org/bikeways/tracker

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

Not sure if I used the word "protected" appropriately... they're buffered, at the very least.  I'll try to head home that way and see if the cars have figured out how parking is supposed to work yet.

So is there going to be more to it?  Right now it's a buffered parking lane.  The signs even say no parking  7am to 9am on certain days, implying that drivers may park cars there other times (I forget the specific times), and there are no little pictures of bikes.  I care b/c I am one of the ~11 people who will use this every day.

Active Transportation Alliance said:

Great to hear that project is coming together! By the end of this year, there should be a continuous bikeway along the boulevards from 24th and California to Garfield Park. It will be a mix of protected and buffered bike lanes, and yes, there should be a protected bike lane through Douglas Park on Sacramento. You can find more details on our map here: http://www.activetrans.org/bikeways/tracker

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

Look at the bright side-- if we can get people to park cars in both the intended bike lane, and the intended parking lane, at least we ought to have some degree of traffic calming effect from narrowing the travel lane.

Sarah Kaplan said:

So is there going to be more to it?  Right now it's a buffered parking lane.  The signs even say no parking  7am to 9am on certain days, implying that drivers may park cars there other times (I forget the specific times), and there are no little pictures of bikes.  I care b/c I am one of the ~11 people who will use this every day.

Active Transportation Alliance said:

Great to hear that project is coming together! By the end of this year, there should be a continuous bikeway along the boulevards from 24th and California to Garfield Park. It will be a mix of protected and buffered bike lanes, and yes, there should be a protected bike lane through Douglas Park on Sacramento. You can find more details on our map here: http://www.activetrans.org/bikeways/tracker

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

I also noticed there were no bike symbols.  Seemed like the parking signage needed improvement.

Sarah Kaplan said:

So is there going to be more to it?  Right now it's a buffered parking lane.  The signs even say no parking  7am to 9am on certain days, implying that drivers may park cars there other times (I forget the specific times), and there are no little pictures of bikes.  I care b/c I am one of the ~11 people who will use this every day.

Active Transportation Alliance said:

Great to hear that project is coming together! By the end of this year, there should be a continuous bikeway along the boulevards from 24th and California to Garfield Park. It will be a mix of protected and buffered bike lanes, and yes, there should be a protected bike lane through Douglas Park on Sacramento. You can find more details on our map here: http://www.activetrans.org/bikeways/tracker

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

It goes through Douglas Park on Sacramento.

Jim said:

I'd like to see one through the park.  Is that in the cards?

Cars treating it like a buffered parking lane this evening.

No reason for them to do otherwise.

I can't imagine signage is not planned. 

The new striping stops at Ogden.

The allotted car parking space looks like less than half of what's needed for the number of cars parked there overnight (as observed around 1 AM.)  I'm not sure how that's going to work without some sort of change of plans.

I saw the same thing on Saturday afternoon.

h' said:

Cars treating it like a buffered parking lane this evening.

No reason for them to do otherwise.

I can't imagine signage is not planned. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service